Home‎ > ‎

About Me

“A sound designer’s work is often so subtle that it can be difficult to notice it at all, let alone articulate why it’s exceptional. That’s a cruel paradox of sound design: when the work is good, people tend to accept it as a natural part of a production. It’s only when something fails — a microphone shorts out, a speaker whines with feedback — that audiences are guaranteed to notice”  
~Mark Blankenship , Making Noise Behind The Scenes
“In a craft where the highest goal is not to be noticed, it is going to be strange to get an award for it, in some ways it is just one more thing to worry about in an already neurotic field. Sound has always been the bastard child and, like it or not, now we are sitting at the big table, which puts more responsibility on the sound designer. I hope in the future to see a further attempt to integrate sound with the shows. What I don't want to see is designers throwing in the kitchen sink because there is an award to win now.”   ~Brian Ronan, Spring Awakening.
A Little About Myself:
    I hate talking about myself, that's why I love being backstage. I don't need to have people oogle about the work I do, a simple thank you or bringing me back works fine with me. I’m known for being calm in the face of pressure. One of the only complaints I received during grad school was being “too” calm when things got tough. I don't understand the need to panic and yell when something is going wrong, better to figure out the problem and fix it instead. To me, this makes the few times when yelling is the necessary solution more powerful.
    I have a wonderful Wife that currently works at Nordstrom. She wants to get back into Stage Management but she no longer wants to tour and the area does not have many full time Stage Management Jobs that are free. Hopefully the next move will help with that.
    I have two younger sisters that live half the country away from me. I don’t need to visit them, but I make it a point to 
go and see my nieces as often as I have time to and can afford it.
    “HEY SOUND GUY!
    Something I found Interesting about my experience at Krannert and other places is that I have lovingly been known as the “Sound Guy” by the Ushers who work frequently and somehow it has passed along. Now, some would take it offensively as they consider the Sound Guy” to be the box pusher at a concert. I know better. The term has been used to reflect the fact that for three years it was rare to not see me while events were running at Krannert, as 95% of them needed audio support (the other 5% happened during shows of which I was in the building for anyway). The few regular Ushers seem to rely on the fact that if they needed help with any Audio needs that I was willing and able to lend a hand, even if it was just giving them the few extra radios we had in the office. I now see the term as a general use term as one of those rare individuals in the sound world that has talents not in just one specialty (Sound Design, FOH Mixing, Etc.) but in the Genre as a whole and can be called upon and relied to carry themselves with excellence.
     “Wait, you’re not just and X, but can do Y… and enjoy both things?”
I have run into this problem that a number of people look at me like I’m crazy that I enjoy both the Design and Engineering aspects of the Audio world. The two graduates a year ahead of me would both go on how one side was better than the other, and I never could get it. I enjoy mixing a Musical along with designing a straight play. I am just as happy sitting behind the console during a live concert as I am doing a recording session and the mixdown. Maybe I like the variety, maybe I like the challenge of doing it all, but I love doing each of these jobs. In the end I find it makes me a strong person in the field as a whole. I’ve met all to often someone who was weak in one facet or another due to choice, and it shows in his or her work.