Doctrine and Covenants
Week 1: Introduction; reception, editing, and publication of Joseph’s revelations
8 September 2016
Additional reading and links
- Elder Steven E. Snow, “Treasuring the Doctrine and Covenants,” Ensign (January 2009): 50–53.
- James B. Allen, “Line Upon Line,” Ensign (July 1979): 32–39. Church history reveals how the Lord has continually added to his people’s knowledge and understanding.
- Melvin J. Petersen, “Preparing Early Revelations for Publication,” Ensign (February 1985): 14–20. Petersen explores how Joseph edited his early revelations into the form we have in our current Doctrine and Covenants.
- “Approaching Mormon Doctrine,” Newsroom of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, last modified 4 May 2007.
- “Mystery Solved: Who wrote the Lectures on Faith?,” LDS Perspectives Podcast (12 July 2017). In this illuminating podcast, Noel Reynolds, BYU professor emeritus and a long-time Book of Mormon scholar, discusses who wrote the Lectures and what Joseph Smith thought about them. (You can listen to the interview or read the transcript.)