Book of Mormon
On March 12, 2020, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles directed that “all public gatherings of Church members are being temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice.”
In accordance with their instructions, the Hurricane Utah Adult Religion Class will not be meeting until the suspension is lifted.
Please check back here for more information as it becomes available.
The Book of Mormon is our 2019–2020 course of study.
The Book of Mormon course is held on Thursday evenings from 5 September 2019 to 28 May 2020, with occasional breaks. (Click here for the class calendar.)
Classes are held in the Relief Society room of the Hurricane North Stake Center. (Click here for a map and directions.)
The course is free of charge and dress is casual.
Lesson materials are posted on this site after each class session.
Please join us, and invite your friends and ward members!
- Introduction & the title page of the Book of Mormon
- Historicity, geography & textual transmission of the Book of Mormon
- Lehi₁’s flight from Jerusalem & the brass plates (1 Nephi 1–7, 9)
- Lehi₁’s dream & Nephi₁’s apocalypse (1 Nephi 8, 10–15)
- The journeys to Bountiful₁ & the promised land (1 Nephi 16–22)
- Lehi₁’s farewell address; his descendants separate (2 Nephi 1–5)
- Jacob₂’s sermon on the Messiah & the gathering of Israel (2 Nephi 6–10)
- Nephi₁ quotes & comments on the prophecies of Isaiah (2 Nephi 11–27)
- Nephi₁’s prophecies of the Book of Mormon & his final testimony (2 Nephi 28–33)
- Jacob₂’s temple sermon (Jacob 1–3)
- The Allegory of the Olive Tree; Jacob₂ contends with Sherem (Jacob 4–7)
- Enos’ wrestle; Nephite spiritual decline; Mosiah₁ leads righteous Nephites to Zarahemla (Enos, Jarom, Omni, Words of Mormon, Mosiah 1)
- King Benjamin’s sermon (Mosiah 2–6)
- Zeniff returns to the land of Lehi‑Nephi; Abinadi confronts King Noah₃ (Mosiah 9–17)
- Ammon₁’s expedition; Limhi & Alma₁ escape to Zarahemla (Mosiah 18–21, 7–8, 22–25)
- Alma₂ & the sons of Mosiah₂ converted; the reign of the judges commences (Mosiah 26–Alma 4)
- The ministry of Alma₂ & Amulek (Alma 5–16)
- The Lamanite mission of the sons of Mosiah₂ (Alma 17–29)
- Alma₂ contends with Korihor & leads the Zoramite mission (Alma 30–35)
- Alma₂’s counsel to his sons Helaman₂, Shiblon₂, & Corianton (Alma 36–42)
- The Zoramite & Lamanite wars (Alma 43–63)
- The ministries of Nephi₂ & Lehi₄; Nephite spiritual decline (Helaman 1–12)
- Samuel₂ prophesies; the Gadianton war & collapse of Nephite society (Helaman 13–3 Nephi 7)
- Jesus Christ’s ministry to the Nephites, part 1 (3 Nephi 8–18)
- Jesus Christ’s ministry to the Nephites, part 2 (3 Nephi 19–30)
- Mormon₂ leads his people; the end of Nephite civilization (4 Nephi, Mormon 1–7)
- The rise & fall of the Jaredites (Ether 1–3, 6–11, 13–15)
- Moroni₂’s commentary on the Jaredites & the Nephites (Mormon 8–9, Ether 4–5 & 12, Moroni 1–6)
- Additional teachings of Moroni₂ & Mormon₂; Moroni₂’s final witness (Moroni 7–10)