Second Grade Reading
My Goal in SeeSaw
In this introductory activity, students will learn to use the drawing tool. They can start with a blank canvas, draw on top of photos they take, or draw on a template you provide. The drawing tool also allows students to add text labels.
- As a large group, gather and discuss goals as a class.
- Give students time to set their own goal and then talk with a partner.
- After students have chosen a goal, they document it by completing this activity.
- Click on the activity to save it.
Reading Fluency in SeeSaw
SeeSaw is a fantastic way to capture and share student growth with reading fluency. Parents and students love to hear themselves from the beginning to the end of the year.
Read a Favorite Book with SeeSaw
In Seesaw, students photograph the text being read, then record their reading. Students should listen to themselves before submitting their work.
Fundations in SeeSaw
Character Traits in Popplet and SeeSaw
- Students take a picture of their book showing how their character is feeling. They underline evidence and add matching emojis or circle pictures to support their thinking.
Use the Chatter Pix App to Show Text Features
Chatterpix is a simple app that allows you to draw a mouth on an image and make it say what you have recorded. Recordings are limited to one minute. Save the recording to the camera roll and then upload to SeeSaw to share.
- In this activity, students take pictures of different text elements, TOC, for example, and then speak in the first person to explain.
Directions for How to Use Chatterpix with this Activity
SeeSaw at Open House!
- Put iPads or Chromebooks out at Open House so that students can complete this activity with their family.
- Post this Activity in advance with a note to parents so that they can do the activity from home if they are unable to attend Open House.
- If you prefer to have families use their phones, then have students make a journal post that families could leave a comment on and simply print out the QR codes to student assignments. Directions are below.
Here are some helpful tips as you end your school year with SeeSaw and get ready for Open House:
- How do we print out thumbnails and QR codes for a student’s entire journal for Open House? (note should NOT be done in color at 12￠ per page and set printing to print 9 pages on one page)
- How do I get a QR code for a Seesaw post?
- How do I tell viewers what to do with the QR code?
- How do families and students download an archive of student work?
- How long do families have access to their child’s Seesaw journal?