With Global warming becoming more prominent, what with the artic ice caps melting and all that other stuff Rush Limbaugh says isn’t happening, why not do something about it when buying gifts?The following are “green” ideas to give for gifts. Please expand this list with lots and lots of links to green, environmentally friendly retailers. 13 Green Gifts for Home Renovator. -
http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/by-type/green-gift-guide-for-the-home-renovator-2011-green-gift-guide-161050 Gift Cards
- The LivClean Carbon Offset Gift Card is probably the most unique and one of the greenest gifts you can give this holiday season is a carbon offset gift card. It is not only great for your loved ones and friends, it is also a gift for the planet. For more info visit livclean.ca.
- Another great green gift is LivClean Carbon Offsets. By visiting livclean.ca you can purchase carbon offset plans that make the perfect green gift for family and friends, helping them become carbon neutral. Each plan comes with a certificate and cool promo items that let them show their new carbon neutral status.
- Mr. Ellie Pooh – A favorite at the “Greenfest” this year, this company sells recycled elephant “Poo Paper” products. Visit their online store atwww.mrelliepooh.com to purchase some great paper products and save elephants in Sri Lanka. Basically, by buying this paper you create a market for “elephant dung” which elephants produce while alive (this is key). The idea is that people in Sri Lanka can make a living off of elephant pooh rather than killing the elephants for their hide, tusks or meat.
Donation Type StuffHousehold Items
- Seed Embedded Paper - This paper has seeds in it that will actually grow! Done reading the note, just bury it under some dirt and have flowers! They have both paper and greeting cards for any occasion.
- Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) – These are those “curly q” bulbs that maybe you have seen and hopefully own. These bulbs have come a long way in shape (they are much smaller now), efficiency, style, colors and light type. What used to be a “hospital white” has turned into a nice soft white just like the incandescent bulbs you have been using all those years. An added bonus is that they are cheaper now, under $2, and will save you about $50 in energy costs. How? The “60 watt” CFL only uses 13 watts of energy. Plus, they last as long as ten years!
Clothing & Accessories
- LED Lights - Costco has double and triple packs, both regular bulb and candelabra.
- Eco-Backpacks and Computer Bags - full line of backpacks, computer bags, baby bags and lots more. All made from 98% recycled material.
- Solar Powered Backpack? - Check out this line! A little on the high side price wise but really cool. Charge up your cell phone, PDA, Gameboy and more while you walk/bike to school/work.
- Books, DVD’s - Heres some “green” suggestions:
- Fast Food Nation
- SuperSize Me by Morgan Spurlock (DVD),
- Climate Change Begins at Home: Life on the Two-Way Street of Global Warming by Dave Reay
- You Can Prevent Global Warming (and Save Money!): 51 Easy Ways by Jeffrey Langholz,
- The Weather Makers : How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery,
- Global Warming: The Signs and the Science
- An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It by Al Gore
- A great CD Compilation of wonderful Folk Music
- Blessed Unrest - environmentalist Paul Hawken (Natural Capitalism) reveals an encouraging worldwide movement for change ($25).
- Worldchanging - a big, fat, full-color reference book with reviews of environmental resources and tons of eco-ideas ($38).
- A Slice of Organic Life - how to live an organic lifestyle, with an emphasis on food preparation; foreword by famed veggie chef Alice Waters ($25).
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - bestseller Barbara Kingsolver (The Poisonwood Bible, The Bean Trees) goes local, moving her family to a farm and producing most of her own food ($19).
- Plenty - a memoir about what happens when two people decide to eat only food produced within a 100-mile radius for a year ($17).
- Ignition - a collection of personal essays by writers, scholars, and activists who have worked to stop global warming ($15)
- Hemp Music and Books on Hemp - hemp music contains relaxation music from a 100% didgeridoo with harp, flute and angelic voices suitable for massage or meditation. Produced on a hemp plastic CD tray with hemp paper insert.
Wrapping it up!Other Green Gift Idea Websites:
- Bicycle with Helmet and lock – In case you have not been following the news, there are too many cars on the road and they are not good for the environment. Why not buy your sweet heart a new bike (with helmet and lock!) so that they can ride their bike to the metro and/or for recreation. It’s great exercise and makes a difference.
- Two good resources for buying green gifts on Co-op America's site are:
- The Center for a New American Dream has a Holiday Gift Guide:
- And they also have a Conscious Consumer Holiday Shopping Guide with tips and info on alternative gift fairs:
- The Environmental Defense has a Green Gift-Giving full of tips and eco-friendly products:
- The 2011 Green Gift Guide is here!
- You could always join Ad Busters Buy Nothing Day Campaign:
- 10 Things You Should Never Buy New:
One thing with all the hemp products you see here is that one day you may be growing hemp in Hyattsville :)
This is just a small sample of some “green” ideas. Try them out. Sure, you may be scorned at first from those who are used to getting “stuff”. Try starting with your own holiday list. Do you really need more stuff? If you ask for less stuff, maybe you will set an example for everyone else. You don’t have to become a minimalist living in the mountains to make a difference in the world today. There are plenty of opportunities to save the world while not changing yours. Have some other ideas? What are you waiting for? Add them to the list!