Shropshire Bedlam Stick Dance
Set: 6 dancers (oriented horizontally to the music)
Stepping: Single then Double (alternating)
(See below for explanation of figures.)
- U Haul Hey
- Double Hey
- R-L-M-M / R-L-M-M / R-M-M-L / 1-2-3-D
- Dancers begin with a Backhand clash with the dancer on their Right, then a Forehand clash with the Dancer on their Left, then a Backhand and a Forehand clash with the Middle dancer (i.e., the one in front of them).
- This is repeated once. Then it is repeated going to the Middle dancer beforethe Left dancer.
- 1-2-3-Down means do three Backhand clashes, one each with the Left dancer, the Middle dancer, the Right dancer. Then a low Forehand clash with the Middle dancer.
Alternate Numerical Version:
If you have difficulty remembering Right and Left, you can use this alternate, numerical version. You just have to learn (somehow) that 1 is the dancer on your Left, 2 is the dancer in front of you, and 3 is the dancer on your Right:
- 3-1-2-2 / 3-1-2-2 / 3-2-2-1 / 1-2-3-D
- It helps not to move your head but only your eyes during the chorus.
- Travel more on the double steps than the singles (step-hop-step-hop-RUN-RUN-RUN-hop).
- U Haul Hey:
- Dancers at Head of the set turn to face the Foot. All other dancers turn to face the Head.
- Beginning with Right shoulder, all do a U-shaped Hey, with the base of the U at the Foot of the set.
- The Hey ends when all dancers are Home.
- Double Hey:
- Using the first single step, each dancer moves to form a couple with the dancer Across.
- The couple at Head of the set face the Foot. The other couples face the Head.
- Beginning with Right shoulder, all do an As-Couples Hey for Three, TWICE (that is, passing Home position and then doing the Hey again), finishing at Home.