Beyond The Classroom
Beyond the Classroom at Aylward Sixth Form
The purpose of school is to prepare students for life beyond school. Today's society has a higher demand for self-awareness and more specialised skills. One of the easiest ways to help advance students is by incorporating learning experiences outside the classroom. Learning outside the classroom can help enrich a student's educational experience by showing them real-life applications of theories that they are learning at school.
Our aim is not simply to support our students in attaining academic excellence, but also to help them become confident, responsible and professionalism members of society. To facilitate this, we provide numerous enrichment initiatives to provide a platform for students to learn, and rehearse, these fundamental attributes.
In the Sixth Form, your learning will extend far beyond the classroom. The skills you learn in our dedicated Enrichment Programme will support your studies and well-being, as well as help to prepare you for life after school.
Extensive student leadership opportunities:
Our Sixth Form students have the privilege to form the most formative element of the Academy Student Union. Positions that students can be trained for and fulfil include Head Boy/Girl, Treasurer, Secretary and Senior Prefects. Students are encouraged to initiate and deliver social action projects and have successfully managed to raise thousands of pounds for local causes.
Lead Learners and Subject Ambassadors
- Sixth Form students have a privileged position in our Academy and we draw upon their expertise and help to augment their skills by training them to become Lead Learners and Subject Ambassadors. After receiving guidance on how to deliver subject content, students then support the learning of Key Stage 4 students in both tutor time sessions and subject lessons. This not only serves to bolster their own knowledge of their chosen subjects, but also helps to develop their own attributes.
Trips & Excursions
We firmly believe that learning takes place beyond the classroom and therefore organise a number of trips for our students in order to enrich their experience and provide them with an opportunity to bond with their peers and teachers.
- Academic Trips: Masterclasses and lectures for a myriad of subjects and interests
- Team building: outings to outdoor adventure venues such as Tolmers Activity Centre
- Rewards trips: Winter Wonderland, Wembley Stadium, bowling etc.
- Overseas trip: Residential trip to Barcelona
Tolmers Activity Day 2018
We have a number of societies, such as the Debating Society, which provide the students with a platform to explore their interests and hone their skills
We regularly host guest speakers to share their experiences and inspire our students
University Links & Mentoring
Our students have access to our extensive network links including Oxbridge and Russell Group universities, apprenticeship providers such as the Mindshare and mentoring organisations such as the Prince’s Trust Mosaic.
- Regular trips to universities including Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, UCL etc.
- Princes Trust: Mosaic : This mentoring scheme pairs our Sixth Form students with high-flying professionals. The scheme is designed to ready our students for the world of work by developing their confidence, helping them to market themselves and improving their efficacy.