Italian Prune Plum Nut Bread
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 C granulated sugar
1 t vanilla extract
3 C all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 C plain yogurt
2 t grated lemon or orange peel
2 C fresh Italian prune plums, diced
1 C chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease & flour 2 9x5 loaf pans.
2. Wash and dry the plums, but do not peel. Dice into small pieces.
3. In large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
5. Blend yogurt and orange peel (or lemon peel); add to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients. Stir until well blended. Add diced plums and nuts; mix well.
6. Divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove loaves from oven; let cool in pans 10-15 minutes, then invert loaves onto cooling rack, and let cool completely.
8. When ready to serve, dust top of loaves with confectioners' sugar. If desired, serve with butter or cream cheese.
Loaves freeze well.