Quinoa's naturally sweet and nutty flavor is the perfect match for the fruits, nuts, and spices in this easy-to-make snack cake. Enjoy a plain slice for simple, tasty, tender goodness, or top it with cream cheese frosting or cinnamon cider glaze for an extra-indulgent treat.
- 1 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour*
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups grated apple (about 2 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup diced dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" square pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flours, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the brown sugar and oil, then beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until evenly moistened.
- Stir in the apples, dried cranberries, and walnuts until well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until it's golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a rack.
- Serve the cake warm, or cool completely and frost or glaze as desired.
Tips from our bakers
- To feed a larger crowd, bake the cake in a 9" x 13" pan for 22 to 25 minutes.