Food 52 Bestest Banana Bread
4 very ripe bananas, peeled
1/4 C unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, room temp
1-2 t vanilla extract
1 C sugar
1-1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1 C plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a standard loaf pan.
2. Mash the bananas in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. You should have approximately 2 cups of bananas.
3. Add the butter, egg, vanilla, and sugar and mix well.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Fold into the banana mixture, and then gently fold in the yogurt.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown and springs back to the touch; a tester inserted into the middle of the loaf will come out with a few moist crumbs. (By the way, it's delicious a tad underbaked.)
6. Put the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before turning the bread out and slicing. Wrap the leftovers in foil and eat within 1-2 days.
Note: I added about a cup of toasted, chopped walnuts after folding in the yogurt. The recipe notes that you can also add a handful of chocolate chips, or a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.
The bread is delicious warm, spread with butter of cream cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon. :-)