Mosaic II (Fall 2009) - Final Exam
Mosaic II - Final Exam
Please answer 4 of the following questions. You have at most 1,200 words (roughly 4 pages, double-spaced, Arial, 12 point font) in which to answer all 4 questions.
The final exam is due by 11:59 pm Wednesday, December 16. I do not need a hard copy. You must post your exam answers through Safe Assign. The link is on the assignments section on Blackboard.
Answer 2 Questions from 1-3:
1. In Moore's Utopia, we learn that what the Utopians "find most amazing and despicable is the insanity of those who all but worship the rich" (p.79). Explain why they find this amazing. The rich can drive big cars, wear expensive clothes, sit in the front of the plane, and live in giant homes. Why doesn't this make them worthy of awe, admiration, and respect? What would a Utopian say about our society?
2. In Utopia, all religions are permitted as long as they maintain a belief in the immortality of the soul. Raphael explains that the Utopians do not think that many (or, perhaps, any) people will be moral if they don't fear punishment and seek reward in an afterlife. Are the Utopians rights?
3. Near the end of Utopia, Raphael says that pride is "the parent of all plagues" (p.133). What does he mean? Why does he think this? What does pride have to do with the existence of gross inequality and associated forms of injustice?
Answer 1 Question from 4-5:
4. Explain Nozick's Wilt Chamberlain example. What is it designed to show about patterned theories of distributive justice?
5. Would you get in the experience machine? Why or why not?
Answer 1 Question from 6-7:
6. Explain how the thwarted non-abduction of the little girl on Hudson street (p.39) illustrates the value of the diversity of use.
7. Go to Rittenhouse Square Park. Describe at least three buildings or storefronts with different primary purposes that lie along the perimeter of the park. Explain how, according to Jane Jacobs, this contributes to the vitality of the park.
The paper should be no more than 1,200 words. This is approximately 4 pages double-spaced with Arial 12 point font.
The paper must be typed. It should be double spaced. It should have one inch margins. You should use a 12 point font. I prefer Arial, since it is easy to read. Please follow the general paper and exam instructions under the "course documents / writing" section on Blackboard.
I do NOT need a hard copy. Simply submit the paper through Safe Assign via Blackboard by 11:59 pm on the due date. Safe Assign is a plagiarism detection tool. It will compare your paper against others available online, in journals, submitted in this class, Temple, and from all other universities that use the software.
Note: Plagiarism will result in a failing grade in the class, not just on this assignment.
Your paper should be clearly written, well-structured, and free of grammatical and spelling errors. It is practically impossible to get higher than a C if you start writing the night before the paper is due. The grading scale is as follows:
A = excellent
B = good
C = meets minimal expectations
D = bad
F = awful