Mosaic I (Spring 2009) - Midterm
Answer one question from 1-2.
1. Provide an interpretation of the scene in The Epic of Gilgamesh where Enkidu parts from the herd of gazelles. What does Enkidu lose, what does he gain? What's the significance of the way in which Enkidu is tamed?
2. Analyze the passage "On the Island of Cuba" in the Destruction of the Indies. Why does Las Casas include the anecdote about the cacique who would rather go to hell than heaven? Why does Las Casas include this and the cacique's explanation for why the Spaniards kill the natives? ("they have a god that they worship and love much, and to make us love him they work to subjugate and slay us.") How might this make Las Casas' argument more or less pursuasive to his intended audience?
Answer one question from 3-4.
3. Evaluate Freud's argument in "Our Attitude Towards Death" (posted on Blackboard; see page 289) that no one can believe, deep down, that they are going to die. Explain the argument clearly and then say why it is good or bad. (This question requires evaluation.)
4. Explain the Tiresias model of immortality. What major problem does Williams think it suffers from? (This question does not ask for evaluation.)
Answer one question from 5-6.
5. Explain Freud's defense of the claim that children are sexual. You need to explain his claim clearly. This requires that you briefly discuss the meaning of "sexual" and describe some putative early sexual forms of behavior. Then you need to explain his argument against the skeptic. (This question does not ask for evaluation.)
6. If all dreams are primitive wish-fulfillment fantasies, as Freud suggests, then why do we have so many bad dreams--nightmares and, more prominently, anxiety dreams? What is Freud's explanation? You will need to explain his theory of dreams, the problem of anxiety dreams, and Freud's attempt to resolve the problem. (This question does not ask for evaluation.)
The complete midterm should be no more than 1,200 words. This is approximately 4 pages double-spaced with Arial 12 point font.
The midterm must be typed. It should be double spaced. It should have one inch margins. You should use a 12 point font. I prefer Arial, since it is easy to read. Please follow the general paper and exam instructions under the "course documents / writing" section on Blackboard.
You are required to hand in a paper copy at the start of class on the due date. In addition you must submit the midterm through Safe Assign via Blackboard by 11:59 pm on the due date. Safe Assign is a plagiarism detection tool. It will compare your paper against others available online, in journals, submitted in this class, Temple, and from all other universities that use the software.
Note: Plagiarism will result in a failing grade in the class, not just on this assignment.
Your exam should be clearly written, well-structured, and free of grammatical and spelling errors. It is practically impossible to get higher than a C if you start writing the night before the paper is due. The grading scale is as follows:
A = excellent
B = good
C = meets minimal expectations
D = bad
F = awful