Mosaic I (Spring 2009) - Final Exam
Please answer 4 of the following questions. You have at most 1,200 words (roughly 4 pages, double-spaced, Arial, 12 point font) in which to answer all 4 questions.
The final exam is due by 11:59 pm Friday, May 8th. I do not need a hard copy. You must post your exam answers through Safe Assign. The link is on the assignments section on Blackboard.
Answer 1 Question from 1-2:
1. In the "Crito," Socrates argues that it would be wrong to escape from prison because he has implicitly consented to follow all of the laws of Athens. Please explain and evaluate his argument.
2. In the "Euthyphro," Socrates asks if what makes an act pious (good) is the fact that the gods love it, or if the golds love certain acts because the acts are pious. Explain the difference and indicate which answer Socrates thinks is correct and why.
Answer 2 Questions from 3-5:
3. What does Freud think is the significance of the "inclination to aggressiveness?" How is it held in check?
4. In Exodus, God sends Moses to ask Pharaoh to release the Jews, but God repeatedly "hardens the heart" of Pharaoh (ex. Exodus 4.21). Doesn't this work against Moses? What purpose does it serve to make Pharaoh stubborn?
5. In Genesis 22, God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. Do you think that this is an order that Abraham should obey? Why or why not?
Answer 1 Question from 6-7:
6. Gloss Chapter 31 of the DaodeJing.
7. In the Bhagavad-Gita Krishna tells Arjuna that one's body will be replaced like a pair of clothes worn by the soul. Evaluate the idea of reincarnation. Can a soul that shares none of your memories be said to be you? What marks the difference between "rebirth" and simply "birth"?
The exam should be in total no more than 1,200 words. This is approximately 4 pages double-spaced with Arial 12 point font.
The paper must be typed. It should be double spaced. It should have one inch margins. You should use a 12 point font. I prefer Arial, since it is easy to read. Please follow the general paper and exam instructions under the "course documents / writing" section on Blackboard.
I do not need a hard copy. You must submit the paper through Safe Assign via Blackboard by 11:59 pm on the due date. Safe Assign is a plagiarism detection tool. It will compare your paper against others available online, in journals, submitted in this class, Temple, and from all other universities that use the software.
Note: Plagiarism will result in a failing grade in the class, not just on this assignment.
Your paper should be clearly written, well-structured, and free of grammatical and spelling errors. It is practically impossible to get higher than a C if you start writing the night before the paper is due. The grading scale is as follows:
A = excellent
B = good
C = meets minimal expectations
D = bad
F = awful