Intellectual Heritage B (Spring 2008) - Final
Please answer 4 of the following questions. You have at most 1,200 words (roughly 4 pages, double-spaced, Arial, 12 point font) in which to answer all 4 questions.
The final exam is due by midnight Sunday, May 11th. You must post your exam answers through Turn It In. The link is on the assignments section on Blackboard.
Answer 1 Question from 1-2:
1. How does Conrad describe Kurtz's physical appearance in The Heart of Darkness? Why does Conrad describe him in this way?
2. In the first part of The Heart of Darkness, Marlow comments on the "Eldorado Exploring Expedition." How does it differ from Kurtz? How are they the same?
Answer 2 Questions from 3-6:
3. Explain why Marx thinks that capitalism replaced feudalism.
4. Why isn't de Beauvoir primarily interested in happiness? What is it that she wants for women?
5. What is nonviolent direct action? Why does King think it is better than violent direct action?
6. What does Freud think is the significance of the "inclination to aggressiveness?" How is it held in check?
Answer 1 questions from 7-8:
7. Provide an interpretation of Maya Deren's Ritual in Transfigured Time. You must explain the significance of the yarn, the costumes, the party, the chase, and the end. (The video is available online.)
8. In prison, Meursault, the main character of Camus' The Stranger, says "I realized that a man who had lived only one day could easily live for a hundred years in prison. He would have enough memories to keep him from being bored. In a way, it was an advantage" (79). Explain this passage. What is "it"? What is the advantage?
The paper should be no more than 1,200 words. This is approximately 4 pages double-spaced with Arial 12 point font.
The paper must be typed. It should be double spaced. It should have one inch margins. You should use a 12 point font. I prefer Arial, since it is easy to read. Please follow the general paper and exam instructions under the "course documents / writing" section on Blackboard.
You must submit the paper through TurnItIn via Blackboard by 11:59 pm on the due date. TurnItIn is a plagiarism detection tool. It will compare your paper against others available online, in journals, submitted in this class, Temple, and from all other universities that use the software.
Note: Plagiarism will result in a failing grade in the class, not just on this assignment.