Prior to the start of the school year, student bus routes will be available for parent reference in Skyward Family Access. Students are required to physically be at their assigned stop five (5) minutes prior to pick-up. New families to the District will be contacted by the Transportation Department via mail or phone with their transportation information. Please remember that half-day kindergarten students are only bused one way – to school for a.m. students and from school for p.m. students.
District policy states that children can only ride their assigned bus from their assigned stop location. Children are not permitted to board or depart the bus from another location without obtaining authorization, a bus pass, from the school building principal. Written notes presented to the bus driver from parents, guardians, or students cannot be accepted. Bus passes are only to be issued for pre-approved emergency situations that require your child to board the bus from a different location or to ride another bus. Parents/guardians are required to contact their child’s school principal in writing requesting a change. Prior authorization must be obtained at which time a bus pass is issued.
An adult must accompany kindergarten students at the bus stop. Transportation guidelines require a parent/guardian to be physically present at the bus stop for kindergarten age children. In the event a parent/guardian is not physically at the bus stop to receive a kindergarten student, the child will remain on the bus and be taken back to the school. It is suggested that the parent/guardian accompany children under the age of twelve (12) to and from the bus stop. Parents/guardians are responsible for their child’s safety and behavior en-route to the stop and at the bus stop.
Children are required to adhere to the rules and regulations for riding the school bus.
Waiting for the bus:
- Arrive at your assigned stop five (5) minutes prior to pick-up.
- Students may only ride on their assigned bus from their assigned stop.
- Wait in an orderly, quiet manner, respecting the property of others.
- Wait at least ten feet from the road.
- Students are to keep their hands, feet, and other objects to themselves.
- Parents/guardians should accompany younger children.
- Parent/guardian must physically accompany kindergarten students.
While riding the bus:
- Obey and respect the directions from the driver.
- Remain in assigned seat, facing forward at all times.
- Throwing objects of any kind is prohibited.
- Only open windows after obtaining permission from driver.
- Hanging out of window or throwing objects out windows is prohibited.
- Talk quietly, avoid loud, boisterous conversations.
- No eating or drinking.
When exiting the bus:
- Exit bus only at assigned stop.
- Remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Only cross the road in front of the bus after directed to do so by the bus driver.
- Never approach or go behind a school bus.
- Remember the danger zone – keep at least ten feet from the bus.
- Never go back to the bus to pick up anything.