Plans to Protect Students if an Incident Occurs at the Limerick Generating
Plans to Protect Students if an Incident Occurs at the Limerick Generating Station
With the assistance of the Chester County Emergency Management Services, the Owen J. Roberts School District has developed an emergency plan to keep students protected in the event of a radiological incident at the Limerick Generating Station. If an event should occur, the School District will be notified and the emergency plan will be implemented. The District will initiate protective actions to shelter or evacuate students as directed.
If Sheltering is Needed:
- Students will remain in the school they attend. Buildings will be closed to prevent radiological contamination.
- Students will be dismissed after protective action is no longer necessary, or at the regular time if the incident is over prior to the end of the day.
- Early dismissals will be announced through the emergency communication system (Skylert, Website, Radio and TV stations).
- Please do not attempt to pick up children at the school during a radiological emergency. Effective sheltering requires students to remain inside to avoid exposure to dangerous airborne radioactivity.
If Evacuation is Implemented:
- Students will be immediately transported by bus outside the Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ) to the host facility in the Twin Valley School District.
- Elementary students will be transported to the Twin Valley Middle School, 770 Clymer Hill Road, Elverson, PA 19520.
- Middle School and High School students will be transported to Twin Valley High School, 4897 North Twin Valley Road, Elverson, PA 19520. High school student drivers will be permitted to drive their vehicles, but will be encouraged to evacuate to the Twin Valley High School.
- Parents/Guardians are requested to pick up children at the Twin Valley School District before 8:00 p.m.
- After 8:00 p.m. students will be bused to a designated mass care feeding center located at the Downingtown Area Senior High School, 445 Manor Avenue, Downingtown, PA 19335. The Red Cross will provide shelter and food until a parent or guardian arrives.
Please do not attempt to pick up your children at their school during sheltering or during an evacuation. It is important that driveways, access roads and transportation routes remain open for buses and emergency vehicles.
Students will only be released to parents, guardians or individuals at the re-location site.
Additional radiological emergency information is available on the Chester County Emergency Management website.