What can I do with a major in English?
- Communications specialist
- Free-lance writer
- Grant writer
- Marketing professional
- Policy analyst
- Public relations professional
- Publishing professional
- Technical writer
At the heart of the English program at Newington High School is the belief that appropriate and effective use of language is critical to living in today’s world. English is the language in which most activity is conducted, not only in school but in our society; therefore, English instruction is core to the secondary school curriculum. Developing skills in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and critical thinking helps prepare students for success in school and in life.
The high school sequence of courses in English develops the student’s ability to:
- read, understand, and respond to a variety of texts, including written material and music, film, and art, demonstrating an understanding of the text/medium and its philosophical, literary, and historical context;
- read for a variety of purposes: to understand the text, self and cultures; to acquire information; and for enjoyment;
- write, using the writing process and other strategies appropriately, to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes; and
- use reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing for lifelong learning, enjoyment, exchange of ideas, and career pursuits.