School Closure Information
School Closure/Delay/Early Dismissal Procedures
If school is to be called off for any reason, or if there is a delayed opening, parents/guardians will be notified using the School Messenger notification service. This system will send a telephone call to the “primary emergency number”, email, and text message designated by the parents/guardians at approximately 5:30 a.m. In addition, the following television stations will be contacted and also displayed on the district’s website:
● WMUR TV (Channel 9 Manchester)
● BCTV (Channels 16 and 22)
● District Website (www.sau25.net)
● District Facebook Page
If it is necessary to call a 2-hour delay in the start of school, buses will make their normal pickups 2 hours later than the usual time, and the Bedford Early Education Program (BEEP) and morning kindergarten classes will be canceled. The Before-School Program will be delayed 2 hours. The school day will end at the usual hour.
Infrequently, and only under the most unusual circumstances, schools may be dismissed early. Every attempt will be made to notify parents/guardians of the early closure by calling the above stations to announce the early dismissal time, and by the use of our emergency notification service (see below).
The Bedford School District uses the School Messenger notification service which allows the district/schools to send a pre-recorded voicemail message, email and/or text message containing important information to ALL of our students’ parents/guardians within minutes, if an emergency occurs. The ability to deliver a message is only as successful as the contact information we have for our families, so we are requesting that parents/guardians make certain that we have the most up-to-date direct dial numbers, email addresses and cell phone numbers. This is collected through our online student registration and student data validation system on an annual basis at the start of the school year. If this information changes, please let your child’s school secretary know immediately or update the contact information by clicking on the demographic change link in the PowerSchool Parent portal.
The district is utilizing the School Messenger notification service for:
- School cancellations and delays due to inclement weather.
- Emergency notification such as school evacuations and/or relocations.
- Early dismissals due to severe weather.
- Transportation emergencies.
- Other emergency situations as they arise.
- Your caller ID will display the number 855-344-6323 any time a non-emergency call is generated. Caller ID will not display a name with the number. You may dial this toll free number to replay the message.
- Emergency calls will be made to all numbers provided simultaneously, while a standard notification will only be to the primary School Messenger notification number.
- The School Messenger service will leave a message on your voicemail or answering machine.
- The School Messenger service does not call extensions. If you have a direct dial number at work, you should provide your child’s school with the direct dial number, not a main number plus an extension.
- The School Messenger service will only make one phone call per contact number when multiple family members in the same school have the same contact information.
- You may opt into receiving text messages by texting "Yes" to 67587. The cell phone number must be on file at your child's school in order to successfully opt in.
The School Messenger notification service will also assist the schools in the future in reducing the resources needed to pass along key information regarding school events or reminders on a limited basis as the district phases in the use of the service gradually over the next few years. Customary and usual procedures for individual parent/guardian notification will continue as normal.