Mr Joe Barrett, having a pint
Mr Par Salmon, by the village Standpipe the green 1956
Spring Hill 1924
The chassis was conventional with quarter elliptic leaf springs all round. Unusually for the time, rack and pinion steering was used. Brakes were fitted to the rear wheels only. The wheelbase was extended from 88 to 94 inches (2,400 mm) in 1924 to allow genine four seat bodies to be offered including a fabric four seat saloon.The air cooled, side valve, engine was a horizontal twin and was originally of 998 cc capacity but this increased to 1135 cc in 1923. The original engine had a peak output of 13 bhp (9.7 kW) at 2600 rpm. Although there was a conventional looking radiator it was a dummy. Cooling was supplied through air scoops on the side of the bonnet and it was rumoured that after hard driving at night the cylinder heads could be seen glowing red through them.
Open two and four seat bodies were usual but some closed 2 seat coupés were also made from 1923 as well as light commercials. The car cost GBP230 in 1919 reducing to GBP139 in 1925. It was capable of reaching 45 mph (72 km/h) and returning 45 miles per gallon (imperial).
The Rover 8 was made under licence in Germany, with a slightly larger engine, by Peter and Morritz between 1921 and 1923.
Mr Jack Sangster would later
become chairman of BSA
The cars PU number plate was a Chelmsford Essex, registration plate. Plates with prefix: PU were used from 1921-45 for Chelmsford Essex.