Spring hill, Photos


Widdington Essex


Page 1



11, 




11. Cottage on the east side of the road from Newport to W. where 
the road from Newport to Debden branches off.  This cottage was 
demolished in March 1869.  A new cottage , belonging to Shipton 
Bridge Farm, was built on the site of the old cottage about 1930.
  (CH Ms)

Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex – September 1868.
This Cottage and premises were purchased by Mr F Smith of Mrs Scott 
as per Deed dated 18 March 1867 and numbered 281 on the Tithe 
Apportionment Map of 1840 and containing 0.1.0.
This Cottage is at W – Essex – and for many years in occupation 
on William Wright (Horsekeeper)
The Cottage looks into Springwell and Wren Park Common.
adjoins the Road – and is the last Cottage in the Village on the right 
hand side of the Road from W. to Newport -
The Cottage pulled down in March 1869 – and the site thereof and 
the garden laid into adjoining Land No. 282


- is of Freehold Tenure.
- Now part of W 292 in New Tithe Map of 1873

 

11. William Wright Head Mar. 56 farm lab.  Widdington 1871 Census.


Eliza Wright           wife      51                           Henham
Martha Wright      dau.     27 Domestic servant Widdington
Josiah Wright        son      23  farm lab        Widdington
Andrew Wright      son     16   bakers ass.   Widdington
Walter Wright        son     10                           Widdington
Miriam Wright      dau.       7                           Widdington

 

Peter Pallett      Head Mar. 48 farm lab.  Born Takeley
Martha Pallett        wife    34  farm lab         Widdington
George Pallett         son.    13  farm lab         Widdington
Harry L Pallett        son     10                           Widdington
Charles Pallett        son       8                           Widdington
William Pallett        son       5                           Widdington
Charlotte Pallett     dau.      2                          Widdington
Sarah Pallett            dau.      2 mths               Widdington

 


14. 


 

14. Cottages on the west side of the road from 
Widdington to Newport, below, but on the opposite 
side of the road to, Pond Mead.  These cottages 
were demolished in 1869.  Photo taken in 1868.  
(added in pencil (see also Photo 17) (CH Ms)

Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex – September 1868.

Cottages and premises at Widdington Essex purchased 
by Mr F Smith of George Knight as per Deed 
dated 12 October 1867 numbered 421 on the Tithe 
Apportionment Map for 1840 containing 0.2.33.

These Cottages and premises front the Road to Newport 
and are on the left hand side of the Road below 
Mrs Townsend’s and look into Butchers Mead.
The Cottages were pulled down March 1869 and the 
site laid into the Garden and since thrown into 
Wells Mead and now shown on New Tithe Map of 1873 
as W 362 422 in Burgate Common 1.1.31.

By Enclosure Award dated 9 November 1871 Allotment 
62 cont’g 0.0.33 of Land in Burgate part of 422 on 
Tithe Map of 1840 was awarded to Mr F Smith for 
right of Common for one Cow belonging to No. 421.
Allotment part of W. 422 on Tithe Map of 1873
 



17. 


17. Cottages on the west side of the road from Widdington to Newport, 
below, but on the opposite side of the road to Pond Mead.  
These cottages were demolished in 1869.  Photo taken in September 1868. 
 
(added in pencil (see also photo 14) (CH Ms)

Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex – September 1868.

Cottages and premises at Widdington Essex – purchased by Mr F Smith 
of George Knight as per Deed dated 12 October 1867.

- numbered 421 on the Tithe Apportionment Map for 1840 containing 0.2.33 
and now part of W. 362 called Wells and Mapletoft in Tithe Map of 1873.
- These Cottages and premises front the Road to Newport and are on the 
Left Hand Side of the Road below Mrs Townsend’s and look into Butchers Mead.

The Cottages were pulled down March 1869 and the site laid into the Garden 
and since thrown into Wells Mead and now shewn on new Tithe Map of 1873 
as W 362 Wells and Mapletoft 1.1.31

- adjoins  W 422 in Burgate Common – 2.2.31

- By Enclosure Award dated 9 November 1871 Allotment 62 cont’g 0.0.33 
of Land in Burgate 422 of Tithe Map of 1840 was awarded to Mr F Smith 
for right of Common for one Cow.

 

 

Looking down Spring Hill




Rose Cottage, Spring Hill
This is not the Rose Cottage on the Village Green. picture from the Rust family records 




Rose Cottage, Spring Hill




Looking up Spring Hill, Pond Mead Cottage, barn and 
Pond Mead House 
This photo was taken when Pond Mead Cottage was still on the main road 













Pond Mead Garden




Comments