Bishops Farm House 

Page 1

Grade II

Built in 1843 by Frances Smith when he demolished the C16 house on the
site. He intended this house to be a summer residence and planned all
the rooms to face north. A stuccoed building with rusticated quoins and
a moulded band between the storeys. Two storeys and attics. Three window
range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars and square label moulds on
the first storey. The ground storey has 4 small canted bays with casements.
Roof tiled, with 3 flat headed dormers and 2 central chimney stacks.



1. The Front and West End view of Bishops, Widdington., in September 1868.  Taken from the Orchard (CH Ms).
Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex,  September 1868.
The Front and West End View of Bishops Farm Homestead belonging to Mr Francis Smith at W., Essex.
No. 498 on Tithe Map of 1840 and W 498A on New Tithe Map of 1873.

The West End looks into Garden and Orchard of which Gate is shewn and being across the Road and being No. 497 on Tithe Map of 1840 and W 497 on New Tithe Map of 1873. 
Bishops Farm 1871 Cencus.

Rachel Gibbons Head wid. 49 Housekepper Born Huish, Somerset
Rachel A. “ dau. 13 London

1891 Census Widdington RH12/1431

Bishops

Mary J. Smith Head Wid 45 living on own means Born Camden Town, London
Dor M. “ dau. 11 St. Pancreas
Voilet “ dau. 9 Widdington
George H. Pettit 22 gardener Widdington
Jane Stanley 18 servant Wicken Bonhunt.

2. Kitchen entrance to house (Bishops).



2. The South and view of Bishops, W., in September 1868. Taken from the Pasture (CH Ms).

Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex – September 1868.

The back View of Bishops Farm Homestead belonging to Mr Francis Smith at W., Essex.

No. 498 on Tithe Apportionment May of 1840. * This view looks up the Home ( * now W 498A on New Tithe Map of 1873.)



9. Orchard belonging to House.




11. Stables and Coach-House (Bishops).


14. Pasture at the back of the house (with cows).



16. The dining-room at Bishops in 1887 (CH Ms).



17. South view of the house (1887).




18. South view of the house in the autumn, 1908 

(CH Ms)
(appears to be a postcard 

with identification on it).



19. Front view of the orchard.





24. The Hall at Bishops, 1887 (CH Ms).




25. North West side of the house (CH Ms reads: 

with Mr & Mrs Griffiths Smith and their 

daughters Dora and Violet).


29. Pasture at back of hours (5 cows).



32. Front of the house



Rebuilt 1843/4



Excerpts From Sir Claud Hollis’ Family Records

36. Prior’s Hall (with horse).
37. Grave in W. Church Yard of Mary Jane Smith
who died 25 September 1886 (CH Ms)
34. The National School (CH Ms in pencil
identifies Rev. JW Court in back row).
35. The Village street.
32. Front of the house
33. W. Hall.
30. The Rectory from the road.
31. Road leading to house.
28. Cottage
29. Pasture at back of hours (5 cows).
26. The Jubilee Treat.
27. Entrance to village from Newport.
24. The Hall at Bishops, 1887 (CH Ms).
25. North West side of the house (CH Ms reads:
with Mr & Mrs Griffiths Smith and their
daughters Dora and Violet).
22. Moat and Bridge, Prior’s Hall.
23. The Rectory.
20. The Village Green.
21. Corner of the garden from the pasture.
18. South view of the house in the autumn, 1908
(CH Ms) (appears to be a postcard
with identification on it).
19. Front view of the orchard.
16. The dining-room at Bishops in 1887 (CH Ms).
17. South view of the house (1887).
14. Pasture at the back of the house (with cows).
15. Cottages.
12. Prior’s Hall.
13. Pasture at Widdington Hall (with horses).
10. Church Street.
11. Stables and Coach-House (Bishops).
8. W. Church
9. Orchard belonging to House.
6 & 7 (smaller) W. Church before restoration
in September 1868 (CH Ms).
4. W. Church.
5. Jubilee Day (group, male, includes centre 2nd
row Rev. J W Court and next, moving right,
Griffiths Smith – identified by CH in pencil.
2. Kitchen entrance to house (Bishops).
3. Interior of W. Church 1911 (CH Ms).






 



Comments