The Village Green


Page 1





31


31. Pair of cottages facing the village green on the west side of the main street.  Purchased in 1871.  
The cottages were restored, title roofs were substituted for thatch and a foot-path was made in 1878. 

The retaining wall was rebuilt in 1879.  Photo taken in 1873. (CH Ms)

These two Cottages with the two adjoining Cottages stand on the Allotment of Land No 489 on the Tithe Map
of 1840 cont’ g 0.0.24 
[added above figures: a r p]
They belongs to the Lord & Manor of Pryors Hall and were sold in October 1871 by the Warden and Scholars
 of New College, Oxford 
to Mr Griffiths Smith as Freehold. No 489 on New Tithe Map of 1873 & cont g 0.0.34.

The Cottage on the left with the Climbers over the Door had been used as a Shop by Mrs Brand for some years,
this was discontinued 
at Christmas 1877 when Mrs Brand moved into the adjoining new Shop and the Old House
was taken AND let as private Tenement to Mr Salmon,

The new Retaining Wall at the back of these Cottages was built by Mr F Smith in 1877/8 and the Cottages repaired. 
The Footpath in front made the wet Winter of 1878/9 undermined and brought down the Retaining Wall and it was
rebuilt in 1879.  The thatch taken off 
these Cottages in 1878 – new roofed and tiled.

1871 Census Widdington Cont.

 31. Robert Brand Head Mar.  25  Shopkeeper   Born Henham

      Emma Brand wife                      29                                      Debden
      
      Mary A. Dennison dau.               8                                      Widdington
      George Dennison son.                  5                                      Widdington
      Florence Brand dau.                     2                                      Widdington
      Rose E. Brand dau.                       1                                       Widdington
      Elizabeth Joe                                 14   Servant                    Debden

 




13
 1873

13. The two cottages facing the Village Green, Widdington, on the South side of the road leading to Prior’s Hall.  
Photo taken in 1873 (CH Ms)
13. The two cottages facing the Village Green, Widdington, on the South side of the road leading to Prior’s Hall.  
Photo taken in 1873 (CH Ms)
These two Cottages with the two adjoining Cottages stand on Allotment of Land No. 489 on the Tithe Map of 1840 
containing 0.0.24 and belonged to the Lord and the Manor of Pryors Hall alias Stone Hall and were sold by 
the Wardens and Scholars of New College, Oxford, in October 1871, to Mr Griffiths Smith as Freehold.

No. 489 on New Tithe Map of 1873 and containing 0.0.34.

The Elm Trees at the back of these Cottages were with the consent of New College and Lord Braybrooke as Tenant 
taken down by Mr F Smith in the Spring of 1878, the Bank made good  the Retaining Wall built the Houses repainted
and the Footpath in part made 
also the Drain in the Road Leading to Pryors Hall, made good and laid into
Drain in road communicating with Drain or covered Ditch in front of Rectory Wall. 
The Retaining Wall fell down in Winter 1878/9.



18

 18. Wray’s Homestall, Widdington on north side of road leading to Priors Hall, 1868 (Demolished 1878) (CH Ms)

No. 2 Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex.

- Part of Wray’s Homestall at Widdington Essex – purchased by 

Mr F Smith of the demizees of the late Mr Richard Townsend 

on 23 December 1864 as per Deed of that date and being part of 

the premises number 417-418 and 419 on the Tithe Apportionment 

Map for 1840 and 417 on Tithe Map of 1873.

 

??? The within sketch is the extreme end of all Barns looking South 

and  the Road leading to Pryors Hall and looks 

on the Green and up the Village ???

- By Inclosure Award dated 9 November 1871 part of Allotment 53 

cont’g 0.1.26 (twice 33 perches) of Land in Burgate
 Common part 

of 422 in Tithe map of 1840 was awarded to Mr F Smith for rights 

of Common for two Cows
 belonging to Nos. 417-418 and 419.

- Allotment part of Widdington 422 in Tithe Map of 1873

The within shewn Barns and buildings all pulled down in May 
and June 1878. 

The Walls next the Road also pulled down and rebuilt further 

back three or four feet so as to
make a footpath in and for 

the Village, this footpath made June 1878 by Mr F Smith. 

The four Pollard Trees shown at the
Extreme Left taken down by 

Mr Francis Smith with consent of New College and Lord Braybrooke.












Rectory Cottage 











 Church Street to the left Lower Green to the right

























Comments