The High Street, Photos 

Widdington Essex

Page 2




Looking down the High Street
Martens farmhouse on the right

Looking down the High Street 




Looking down the High Street the
The Wrights Cottage on the left   




The Wrights' Cottage, Widdington,
Opposite the entrance to Cornell's lane 1861.

10, The Wrights’ Cottage, Widdington,. opposite the entrance to Cornell’s Road. September 1868.  (CH Ms) Taken by Mr Potts of Stanstead, Essex – September 1868.
This Cottage at W. – Essex – was purchased by Mr F Smith of the late Mr Peter Murkin is numbered 494 on the Tithe Map of 1840 and is where shepherd Wright lived for many years and was succeeded by his Grandson , James Wright ,  the Shoemaker is in the centre of the Village and opposite the Lane leading to Mole Hall. 

Now 494 (a) on New Tithe Map of 1873, cont’g 0.1.34. 

By Enclosure Award dated 9th November 1871 Allotment 59 cont’g 0.0.33 of Land in Burgate part of W. 422 on New Tithe Map of 1873 , was awarded for Cow right.

1871 Census Widdington RG 19/1707


10. Sarah Wright Head wid. 89 lodger next door with Henry Pettie ?            James Mother

James Wright Head. Mar. 57 Boot and shoemaker Born Widdington
Mary Ann Wright wife            67 Debden
Frederick Wright g/son         10 Widdington

Looking up to Cornells Road,  now Lane