The High Street, Photos
The High Street
Above: Before Bishops barn was converted
Northern-end view of the large barn at Bishops, September 1868. (CH Ms) The Northern End Wall of the large Barn built by Mr Smith on the Homestead of Bishops Farm at Widdington.
No. 498 on the Tithe Map of 1840.
The Bays of this Northern End Wall stand on the Boundary Line of the Lower Orchard shewn in Plan of Premises taken by Mr Thompson in 1844.
The Land included in the Fence outside the Barn is No 499-500 and 501 on the Tithe Map of 1840 and now Widdington 499 on New Tithe Map of 1873 and therein stated to contain 0.1.5.
The Barn stands on No 498B in New Tithe Map of 1873.
The High street with the old Bakers on the left and the converted Barn in the background
The Fleur de Lys 1930
The new Victorian Houses, that were built in the High Street to replace
the old dilapidated thatched cottages.
21. Pair of semi-detached cottages on the west side of the main street. Erected in 1867/8.
[Added at the right hand side in pencil (Mr Holgate [?] (CH Ms)
These Cottages were built in 1867/8 on Land No. 492 on Tithe Map of 1840 and form part of four Cottages built on this Land on this Land stood the Old Cottage occupied for many years by Thomas Coston the Cottage
occupied by George Thurgood and the Tenement west
adjoining occupied by James Reed.
These Cottages stand principally in the Garden of
Coston’s Cottage as above Shown on New Tithe Map of
1873 as part of Widdington 493 containing together 1.0.18.
21 James Reed Head wid 52 carpenter 1861
Ruth Reed dau. 18
Emma Reed dau. 15
John Wright Head Mar. 48 Rat/mole catcher Born Widdington
Susanna Wright wife 58 Lt. Easton
22. Pair of semi-detached cottages on the west side of
the main street. Erected in 1868/9.
[Added in pencil Hale [?[ Hogate] (CH Ms)
These Cottages were built in 1868/9 on Land No 492
on Tithe Map of 1840 and form part of four Cottages
ilt on this Land on this Land stood the Old Cottage
occupied for many years by Thomas Coston the
Cottage occupied by George Thurgood and the Tenement
west adjoining occupied by James Reed.
These particular Cottages stand principally on site
of Cottages occupied by Thurgood and Reed as above –
They are built Brick-on-Edge – not flat causing
a saving of many thousand Bricks
shown on new Tithe Map of 1873 as part of Widdington
493 and containing together 1.0.18.
22. George Thurgood Head Mar. 52 Ag. Lab. Born Widdington 1865
Charlotte Thurgood wife 51 Wicken
George Thurgood son 12 Widdington
Harriet Thurgood dau. 9 Widdington
Lucy Thurgood dau. 5 Widdington
4th property away from George Thurgood.
John Wright Mrs Coston
23. Pair of semi-detached cottages on the west side of the main street.
Erected in 1866/7. (CH Ms)
These Cottages were built in 1866/7 on Garden occupied by Mrs Martin,
part of 493 on Tithe Map.
now shown on New Tithe Map of 1873 as part of W 493 cont’g 1.0.18.
1871 Census Widdington cont.
23. John Wright Head Mar. 57 farm lab. Born Widdington
Susannah Wright wife 67 Lt. Easton
Thomas Coston Head Mar. 71 farm lab. Takeley
Sarah Coston wife 65 farm lab. Widdington
William Coston son 44 farm lab Widdington
Issac Coston son 30 farm lab Widdington
24. Pair of semi-detached cottages erected between the extension to Bishops Cottage and the Wrights’ cottage and nearly opposite the entrance to the yard of Bishops.
September 1868. (The Chipperfields’ Cottages).
[Added in pencil, at the left, Chipperfield and
at the right, Pettit] (CH Ms)
The new Cottages No 495 on Tithe Map opposite the
Great Gates [stamped: C Potts Photo Stansted Essex]
John Chipperfield Head Mar. Aged 28 Carpenter journeyman born Widdington
Rhoda Chipperfield wife 36 Elsenham
John Chipperfield son 6 Elsenham
Emily Chipperfield dau. 3 Elsenham
Ellen Chipperfield dau. 1 Elsenham
Henry Pettit Hend Mar. 52 Gardener (dom.serv.) Broxted
Emma Pettit wife 45 Widdington
George Pettit son 2 Widdington
Frederick P. Pettit son 6 mths 1871 Cencus. Widdington
Charles Bird Thos Reynolds
25. Pair of semi-detached cottages on the west side of the main street and opposite Martin’s Farm Erected 1859/60. September 1868. (CH Ms) These Cottages form part of Six Cottages all semi-detached (opposite Salmon’s Shop) built in 1859/60 on Land No 493 on theTithe Map of 1840 forming the sites of the Maltern the Hawk House Cottagebehind and Barn or Shed called Coopers Shop and garden of Hawk House and part of field (483) called Hammells.
Now shown on New Tithe Map of 1873 as part of Widdington 493
25. Charles Bird Head Mar. 59 Ag. Lab. Born Bishops Storford 1871.
Sarah Bird wife 57 Widdington
Thomas Reynolds Head Mar. 33 Ag. Lab. Born Widdington
Emma Reynolds wife 29 Broxted
Alice Reynolds dau. 5 Widdington
Frederick Reynolds son. 3 Widdington
James Reed lodger wid. 64 Carpenter Widdington