|It is our distinct pleasure to welcome you to perform for LOTUS. As most of you know, LOTUS is an organization comprised entirely of volunteers. Volunteers dedicate time and effort to give our local artists a stage to showcase their musical talent.
Please note that LOTUS is a non-profit community organization of volunteers. All our events are free and LOTUS does not provide any travel or airfare nor do we offer any type of fees or remuneration to artistes or accompanists for their performances.
The following is the set of policies and requirements to perform for LOTUS. Kindly review this thoroughly and do contact us in case you have any questions or concerns.
- To perform you must be a resident of California. LOTUS is currently dedicated to promoting local talent in California.
- Artists are responsible to arrange for their own accompanists. Feel free to contact any of accompanists listed on LOTUS Artists page.
- If you are LOTUS Junior Artiste and have not performed in the past year, you may request a Junior-Artiste slot. You will receive the next available Junior Slot. Please note that since we have a very large pool of Junior Artistes, your allotted slot may not be until 12-18 months later!
- If you have not performed for LOTUS in the senior slot and wish to do so, please review the details posted below Procedure to Perform as a LOTUS Senior Artiste.
- IMPORTANT! We require all LOTUS artistes (both Senior and Junior) to VOLUNTEER at one concert prior to their own scheduled concert
- This requirement applies to main artistes only and not to their accompanists.
- When you re-confirm your slot, you are required to specify at least 3 different months prior to your concert that you are available to volunteer. For instance, if you are performing in March, you may indicate that you are available to volunteer in January or February.
- Your volunteering requirement must be met prior to the date of your scheduled performance.
- Both Senior and Junior Artistes are expected to volunteer. Volunteers will need to be present for the entire length of the two scheduled events for the date they have volunteered, plus initial preparation/setup and cleanup time. We expect that this will take up no more than 3-4 hours of your time, once a year.
- The tasks LOTUS needs help with are setup and clean up of chairs and stage, sound system setup and support, and with Program Host/MC duties.
- For child artistes below the age of 15, LOTUS requests either their parents or gurus to substitute as volunteers.
- The volunteering requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. It is now a pre-requisite for all LOTUS artistes.
- All volunteers are expected to arrive 30-minutes prior to the start of the first concert and stay until clean up procedures (determined by regular lead volunteer) is completed.
PROCEDURE TO PERFORM - JUNIOR ARTIST
Please make sure that you contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information at least two months prior to the scheduled date of your concert.
PROCEDURE TO PERFORM - SENIOR ARTIST
- The city you currently reside in and your home phone number.
- A short bio (less than 200 words) detailing the information you would like to have announced to the audience about your gurus, prior performances, etc.
- It is your responsibility to gather and email us the music bios for all your accompanists as well. Same word limit restrictions apply to their bios as well.
- You will also need to email us with updated contact information for yourself and your accompanists (email, mobile phone number, etc).
- Similar rules apply for your concert. If you cannot make it on a scheduled concert date, you will need to find an alternate performer and at least inform us one month prior to the date of your concert.
To perform in the long(senior) slot, every interested artist must undergo the screening process, which is conducted by a group of (anonymous) knowledgeable musicians and bay area music conoisseurs. The board will require a bio and a tape of any one complete concert performance preferably a Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi (or the equivalent in hindustani music) with the name, email address and phone contact of the artist.
This must be sent to :
The LOTUS Screening Board
1377 York Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008
The artist will then be notified of which slot he/she falls in soon after the board makes its decision via email. At that point, the artist is required to get in touch with Subhapriya K. Srivatsan at subhapriya AT gmail.com for scheduling and information on available dates.
All long segment main artists are required to perform a ragam-tanam-pallavi or a detailed main piece with raagam,tanam, niraval & swaram in their carnatic concert the day of the LOTUS program (and the equivalent in a hindustani concert).