How to do a Windows 7 Clean Install with an Upgrade Key
Clean Install and Activate Windows 7 with MediaBootInstall Registry Hack
- Initially install Windows with a full version key (you can get this off of the bottom of any windows 7 machine with a sticker), don't activate right away and once you get to windows
- After booting up, run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- In the right pane, change the value data for MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0.
- Open an elevated command prompt as administrator.
- Run the command below to reset Windows 7 activation status:
- slmgr -rearm
- Reboot the computer.
- Run the Activate Windows utility (type Activate Windows into Start Search), type in the upgrade product key and activate Windows.