The school believes that manner of dress should reflect the context of the educational environment and that students should dress with that context in mind. We realize the importance and viability of dress as a form of self‐expression and personal identity; however, we also recognize that certain aspects of style and dress can be a distraction to the educational goals and expectations in a school setting. We believe that student dress should be informal and comfortable. However, one should not assume all casual attire is acceptable within the context of an educational setting. We offer this statement in the spirit of making Northern Valley a viable institution that respects both its educational goals and the personal integrity of the individuals it serves.
Student dress guidelines are established and enforced cooperatively by the students, faculty, and administration of this high school. Our practices must conform to the policies of the District Board of Education, the State Board of Education, the rulings of the State Commission of Education, and the public laws of the State of New Jersey as adopted by the Legislature and interpreted by the Courts.
We believe the individual student should conform to acceptable standards of dress during the hours of regular school attendance. We believe the individual should have the right to choose his/her own dress except for the following:
1. anti‐religious, racist, or obscene dress;
2. dress harmful to the individual’s or to the communal safety or health;
3. costumes, recreational uniforms, or ludicrous dress, unless prescribed for special occasions;
4. dress that is disruptive to the educational program. Students are prohibited from wearing strapless tops or baring their midriff area.
In interpretation of the above restrictions, the following guidelines in clothing will be enforced:
1. foot apparel must be worn at all times;
2. an undershirt may only be worn with a shirt or sweater over it;
3. dresses, skirts or shorts should cover the mid thigh;
4. no undergarments should be visible.