Career Development Events (CDE's) and Leadership Development Events (LDE's)
Career Opportunities from within today's agriculture industry. CDE's and LDE's help students develop the abilities to think critically, communicate clearly, and perform effectively in a competitive job market.
There are 24 CDE's, covering job skills in everything from communications to mechanics. Some events allow students to compete as individuals, while others allow them to compete in teams.
Leadership Development Events (LDE's)
Career Development Events (CDE's)
- Creed Speaking-
- The Creed Speaking LDE is for FFA members in grades seventh, eighth, and ninth. They must present the FFA Creed from memory and answer questions about its meaning and purpose. The event boosts self-confidence and develops their ability to communicate in a powerful, professional manner.
- Employment Leadership (Job Interview)-
- Participants in the Employment Skills LDE submit a resume, complete job applications, and participate in mock interviews and practicums with a panel of possible employers.
- Extemporaneous Public Speaking-
- In the extemporaneous Public Speaking LDE, participants are given 30 minutes to deliver a speech on one of three assigned agricultural topics. Students must learn to think on their feed and develop an argument quickly and persuasively.
- Parliamentary Procedure-
- During the Parliamentary Procedure LDE, teams conduct a mock chapter meeting to demonstrate their knowledge of basic parliamentary law and the correct use of parliamentary procedures.
- Prepared Public Speaking-
- During the Prepared Public Speaking LDE, students write and deliver a six-to eight - minute speech about a current agriculture-related topic. The speaking skills gained through this event help students excel in school, community, and career.
- Discussion Meet
- Allows participants to exchange ideas and information in an effort to solve a problem. It is an exercise in problem-solving using techniques of letting the participants discuss subjects, with the questions, answers and statements.
- Ag Communications-
- The Agricultural Communications CDE prepares students for careers in journalism, radio and television broadcast, web design, marketing and more.
- Ag Issues Forum-
- Participants in the Agricultural Issues Forum LDE research the pros and cons of an agricultural issue and present their findings and theories to a panel of judges. The event helps students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving and formal communication skills.
- Ag Sales-
- In the Agricultural Sales CDE, students demonstrate skills in customer relations, advertising and promotion and merchandise displays.
- Ag Technology and Mechanical Systems- Video
- The Agricultural Technology and Mechanical Systems CDE helps students develop their technical skills and knowledge and their ability to work with others to solve complex problems.
- Agronomy- Video
- Participants in the Agronomy CDE possess an in-depth knowledge of seeds, insects, soils and crops. They must also demonstrate skills in solving complex problems related to crop production.
- Dairy Cattle Evaluation and Management - Video
- The Dairy Cattle Evaluation and Management CDE helps students develop skills in dairy cattle selection and herd management. Participants evaluate the cattle’s physical characteristics, explain their various classes and analyze a herd record as a team.
- Dairy Handlers Activity-
- Through participation in the Dairy Cattle Handlers Activity, students learn to work with others in a way that is cooperative, courteous and helpful.
- Environmental and Natural Resources- Video
- Individual and team activities in the Environmental and Natural Resources CDE include a national and global issues interview; environmental and natural resources problem solving; soil tests and profiles; air and water analysis; GPS use; waste management; and more.
- Farm Business Management- Video
- The Farm and Agribusiness Management CDE helps students develop business skills and learn to apply economic principles to agriculture and agribusinesses.
- Floriculture- Video
- The Floriculture CDE requires students to identify plants, judge flower arrangements and solve problems. Participants also demonstrate skills in flower arranging, propagation and the preparation of floral and foliage products for sale.
- Food Science and Technology- Video
- The Food Science and Technology CDE requires students to have an in-depth understanding of food product development and presentation and food safety issues. Participants use their sensory skills to solve problems and make sound decisions.
- Forestry- Video
- The Forestry CDE requires students to demonstrate their skills in diagnosing forest disorders, managing forests and forest inventory and applying approved silviculture practices.
- Horse Evaluation- Video
- In the Horse Evaluation CDE, students evaluate and rank horses based on breed characteristics, conformation and performance. As a team, students cooperatively solve problems related to equine selection, management, nutrition and production.
- Livestock Evaluation- Video
- Participants in the Livestock Evaluation CDE cooperatively classify livestock as “keep” or “cull” for market and breeding purposes based on physical characteristics and records.
- Marketing Plan-
- Participants in the Marketing Plan CDE develop and present a marketing plan for a current agricultural product, supply or service.
- Meats Evaluation and Technology-
- In the Meats Evaluation and Technology CDE, students develop the skills needed for careers in the meat animal industry. During the event, members evaluate beef carcasses for quality and yield grade; identify various meat cuts and place carcasses, and identify wholesale and/or retail cuts.
- Milk Quality and Products- Video
- Participants in the Milk Quality and Products CDE demonstrate their knowledge about the quality production, processing, distribution, promotion and marketing of milk and dairy foods.
- Nursery and Landscape- Video
- The Nursery⁄Landscape CDE test students skills in aspects of maintaining landscape plants and related products, evaluating equipment and services, and landscape design.
- Poultry Evaluation- Video
- The Poultry Evaluation CDE test students’ skills in the production, processing, and marketing of chickens, turkeys, processed poultry products and eggs.
- Veterinary Science- Video
- The Veterinary Science CDE provides opportunities for participants to develop technical knowledge and demonstrate practical skills in the field of veterinary science.