Welcome‎ > ‎

History

School District 23 was organized on June 9, 1894 with land tracts near Absarokee heading toward Billings. In 1901 the district lines were reorganized near where we sit today. In 1915 lines were broadened to consolidate certain areas of District 3. One of the earliest school buildings was the two room school house pictured below. It was located on Laurel Road prior to the construction of Interstate 90 in the 1960s.


County documents report construction of the 5 room and administration office was built in the 60's after much discussion about where to move the building due to the construction of I90. The 1960's building is our current north side of the middle school. The addition of the south wing and gym was built in 1986.

In 2014 a massive remodel and addition was started on our school. We removed 3 modular classrooms from our property and constructed a new elementary school and remodeled our old building to become a Jr. High. We held classes for the first time in our current building on August 26, 2015.

If anyone has historical tidbits about our school including pictures, we would love to have a copy. Please contact the school office either by phone or email at heathergunsch@elysianschool.org . Thank you.

Early 1900 School Building

Closeup of 1986 front entrance
Closeup of 1986 front entrance 
(East side, current activity entrance by the gym)

Elysian School circa 1907

Elysian School circa 1907


New Entrance 2015
New Entrance 2015

Comments