Skillshare Review: Is It Worth It In 2019? Free Trial
In this review, I will be sharing my experience using Skillshare in 2019. I've been a member of Skillshare for over a year now, and so far, I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I found a lot of great classes there for me to take, so I definitely think that it's worth my time and money. However, I understand that Skillshare might not be for everyone. There are pros and cons which I will talk about today. I will also describe some of the key features of the platform and point out some areas that could use improvement. If you want to learn new skills then keep reading, because hopefully by the end of this article you will know for sure whether Skillshare is a good fit got you. And as a bonus, I will also include a link to a 2-month free trial of Skillshare.
What Is Skillshare? What Kind Of Classes Do They Offer?
If you are new to Skillshare, let me explain you really quick what it is and how it works. But first, watch this video to get the answers to the most common questions about Skillshare.
Skillshare is one of the best online learning platform for people who want to learn new skills or improve existing ones. It launched in 2012 with just 25 courses at the time. The platform is constantly growing and now they have thousands of classes in different niches. Skillshare gives their members unlimited access to classes for a monthly subscription fee, plus they also offer a lot of free classes. Skillshare courses are not accredited and you won't get any certificate at the end. You will get something better though - skills that can be applied in real life.
I believe that Skillshare is the future of education. However, it's rather different than traditional education. Skillshare's primary goal is to deliver quality information to their students and make sure they complete practical assignments and apply new skills to real situations.
Skillshare divided their classes into 4 categories: Creative, Technology, Business, and Lifestyle. As of March 2019, Skillshare has over 27,000 classes. When I first joined the platform, there were 21,000 classes. But don't let those numbers fool you. Although I think that Skillshare grants you unlimited opportunities and that there are a lot of high-quality classes with superstar teachers and great content out there, I also stumbled upon some courses that were poor in quality. Keep in mind, that almost anyone can become a teacher on Skillshare. So even though the bad quality classes are often being removed from the platform, once in a while you may come across one. That is why I advise you to always read reviews from other students prior to taking any class.
But let's be honest here, you probably won't need all 27,000 classes. I try to devote 1 hour each day to Skillshare because I also have a business to run and a family to spend time with. But trust me, even 1 hour a day makes a great difference. I can't stress enough how much those new skills that I learned improved both my business and my personal life.
So how do I chose a course that I want to take? I have developed a simple system that helps me pre-qualify a class before taking it to determine if it is worth my time and whether I would benefit from it. I suggest doing this simple "class research" prior to joining the platform to make sure there are enough classes in your area of interest on Skillshare.
- Choose a category that interests you the most. Then browse Skillshare classes.
- If the course doesn't look appealing, skip it. I believe that the thumbnail says a lot about the teacher and how much effort he put into creating his class.
- Check the introduction video (every class has one). Read the reviews.
- See what kind of projects other students created in the class.
- If something seems off, just skip the class and search for another one that you will enjoy more.
How Much Is Skillshare? Is It Expensive?
Skillshare offers two options: free and paid membership. Either way, you have to become a member and create a (free or paid) account to take classes.
Free classes are great for a number of reasons:
- They are free. You can browse free classes just by using this link https://www.skillshare.com/browse?enrollmentType=free&seeAll=1 or by typing in the search box on the Skillshare website and choosing the "free" category.
- There are more than 2,000 free classes available.
- These are usually high-quality classes. This is a Skillshare initiative and there are paying teachers themselves.
Cons of Skillshare free membership:
- You only have access to free classes.
- As a free member, you can't participate in workshops.
- You can follow the groups, but you can't participate in discussions.
What are the benefits of paid membership?
- It cost $8.25 per month if you chose an annual membership and pay $99 right away.
- Even if you prefer to pay month by month it would still cost you only $15 monthly.
- You get unlimited access to all Skillshare classes.
- You also get access to any course, tutorial, and workshop.
- You can join groups and take part in all discussions. Ask questions, post your projects, share different ideas and experiences; Skillshare is a perfect place to connect with like-minded people. This makes learning much easier and a lot more fun!
- Since you get access to thousands of classes, you may end up taking the course you never thought of taking, and actually loving it! For example, when I first joined Skillshare, I wanted to improve my video editing skills, marketing, and productivity. But I also took some cooking classes, relationship coaching, photography, and outsourcing without paying any extra money. Skillshare encouraged me to expand my horizons and I'm truly grateful for that.
How Are The Skillshare Classes Structured?
Most of Skillshare classes are half an hour or hour long so it won't take much of your time. And even the half an hour courses are broken up into parts so that it's easier to go and watch a bit when you have time and come back and finish watching it later. Although for me, it's easier to devote a certain amount of time every day to learning and just watch it all at once. Even after a stressful day, I can go and sit on the couch with a cup of tea and my tablet, relax and learn something useful. That actually calms me down and gives me a sense of accomplishment.
Skillshare Mobile Experience 2019
If you prefer to use mobile devices to take classes, then you can download the Skillshare app. If you have a premium membership you can learn on the go even when you are offline. All you have to do is download the classes beforehand. I find the Skillshare app to be very responsive and easy to use. You can watch different courses on the app or your computer and it will track that the progress and save exactly where you left off. I enjoy having these bite-sized pieces of content because this way I don't feel overwhelmed by a massive load of material. It makes learning fun, easy, and manageable in my busy day-to-day life. That's another thing I absolutely love about Skillshare.
Things I Don't Like About Skillshare
- Skillshare doesn't provide a certificate saying that you completed a course. So you are not getting any piece of paper, "just" the knowledge and skills. Although the fact that it's not a "real" education is not important for me, it's a concern for some people who are thinking about joining the platform.
- Some Skillshare classes are outdated. Make sure to check the reviews from other members and the date when the class was added.
- If you forget to cancel the free trial you will get charged a monthly or yearly fee. So if you are not planning to continue using the service, cancel your subscription before the trial ends.
- Many people get excited about Skillshare at first but don't take any action and learn new skills. I suggest you start the right way and take the time management class first to organize your time wisely and get motivated to learn and improve the quality of your life.
Is Skillshare Worth It? Should I Spend My Time And Money On It?
As you can probably tell, I really enjoy taking classes on Skillshare. I think that Skillshare is worth it and I recommend it to all my friends and family members. I love the idea of learning from the comfort of my home. I love all the projects that I worked on. And most of all, I love applying new skills in life and getting real results.
Is Skillshare A Good Match For Me?
Skillshare provides endless possibilities for learning. You can learn how to start your own business, become a freelancer or an entrepreneur. There are courses that can teach you how to build a website, become a successful blogger or a photographer, start your own YouTube channel, or sell things on the Internet. Plus, you can take art or cooking classes, and even learn how to speak foreign languages. There are so many options to choose from!
Basically, for $0.40 per day (and that doesn't include a 2-month free trial that I will talk about below) you can get access to thousands of high-quality classes. So just ask yourself:
Am I open-minded enough to try something new?
Do I really need to learn anything new? Or am I fine just the way I am?
How much time can I devote to learning new skills?
What can I learn today to get great results tomorrow?
What areas could I improve to get a better quality of life?
Which practical skills can improve my business?
Skillshare Free Trial
If you are still not sure whether you want to join Skillshare or not, then I recommend taking a free trial first. Here is a link for a 2-month free trial of Skillshare that will give you access to all premium classes. Check out how it works and see how truly awesome it is. If for some reason you don't like the platform, just cancel your trial before it ends to avoid any charges. Take advantage of this wonderful offer while it lasts.
If you have any comments or would like to share your Skillshare review, feel free to post it in the comments section below.