Walter P Galarno 1854-1925
Walter P Galarno
by Sharon Collins
Sharon is the great grand-daughter
of Walter P Galarno
Walter Patterson Galarno was born March 26, 1854 in Canada (probably Ontario). In September of 1880 he married Eva Frederick. In 1925 Walter P. Galarno died and is buried in the Watersmeet Township Cemetery in the family burial plot.
Beside his grave is the grave of his daughter Corra Belle and her husband, Genevieve and her husband an infant child and several other children. Walter Galarno’s grave is marked by a relatively large stone that reads “Galarno” and at the foot of his grave is a flat marker that reads “Father 1854-1925”.
Walter and Eva Galarno moved from the Bay City, Michigan area to Doyle Township, Schoolcraft County, Michigan. Walter worked as a carpenter for James Davidson, Davidson Shipbuilding Company at Bay City, MI. The 1900 Census indicated that they had as many as 14 hired hands working and living as boarders. The census lists the 14 workers as day labor and probably worked loading and unloading ships, worked at a light house, worked on the docks and possibly logging and farming.
The Galarno’s had a farm but sold their holdings and moved to Bonifas. In 1910 they owned a farm in Meyers, Menominee, MI. They later moved to the Company town of the Bonifas Lumber Company and the Watersmeet area. They lived in Bonifas by 1920. Walter Galarno was French Canadian (although the 1910 Census State of Michigan, County Menominee, Township Meyer, lists Walter P. Galarno his father and mother as Canada English). Walter worked at the William Bonifas Lumber Company at the Shingle Mill in Bonifas. It was there at the Bonifas Shingle Mill where Walter Galarno dropped dead of a massive heart attack in 1925. (Both Benjamin Codd and his father-in-law, Walter Galarno, were both employed with the William Bonifas Lumber Company. Ben Codd as an Engineer on Bonifas Company Narrow Gauge Railroad and Walter Galarno at the Shingle Mill in Bonifas). (Edna Galarno Kahl, the couple's daughter, recalls they had lived along Lake Michigan when she was young).
Walter P Galarno
Eva Frederick was born in May or September 2, 1857. Her father is listed as being born in Prussia and her mother’s birthplace is given as New York.
(One letter says Walter and Eva came from Canada in 1869 at the ages of 11 and 14. One letter says that Eva was born in Michigan.)
Following her husband’s death, Eva moved in with her daughter, Edna Kahl, in Mt. Horeb where she died on October 27, 1940. Eva lived part of the time with her other children but came to stay with John and Edna Kahl when they lived on the Sutter Farm in Spring Valley near Mt. Horeb, WI. Prior to her death Eva lived on a very small pension and did not have much to share. She would sit and knit mittens and socks, and she always wore an apron. Eva called a frying pan a spit and is remembered to have said; “If you are as pretty on the inside as on the outside you would be perfect”.
Her obit --------------
MOTHER OF PERRY WOMAN DIES AT 83
Mrs. Eva Galarno, 83, formerly of Niagara, WI, died at the home of her son in law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John C. Kahl, Perry Township, Sunday evening.
Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Ben Codd, Watersmeet, MI., Mrs John C. Kahl, Perry, Mrs Martin Peterson, Moran MI; one son, David Galarno of Gurney, WI; one brother, John Frederick, Almont, MI, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Funeral was held yesterday at 12:30 p m from the Gesme Funeral home and at 1 o’clock from the Immanuel Lutheran church, the Rev. G. Nitardy of Madison, officiating.
Burial was made in the Mt. Horeb cemetery.—Oct. 31, 1940 Mt. Horeb Mail
Her obit --------------
The couple had seven children.
2) Eva married Herman Molle,
3) Cora married Ben Codd,
4) Gladys married Martin Peterson,
5) Dave married Helen Peterson (sister to Martin),
6) George was killed duck hunting and
7) Frank died of appendicitis.
2) Eva Galarno was born in July 1890 married Herman Molle---
Louise M. Molle (b. 1913 d. 1987 Carpenter/Sundquist married Edward Sundquist 1895-1968—Children: June M. Carpenter/Berger and Edward Sundquist Jr b. 1948 d. 1980), Lester and June Berger, Star Rt. 1 Box 226A, Iron Mountain, MI 49801
Edna Molle (married several times and had children but names not known),
Virginia Molle April 10, 1915-Jan 25, 1999 (married Bert Carlson Oct 9, 1905-Oct. 1974--Children—Bert Jr. other children’s name not known),
Mary Eva Molle (d. 1994 married Everet Chellew—Children-Joyce L. and Dennis R.). Eva and Herman raised a boy by the name of Bobby. Eva passed away and Herman remarried a lady by the name of Agnes.
3) When Cora Belle Galarno was born, the family had been living in Bay City, Michigan. (Family Search says St Clair, MI)
Cora Belle Galarno, born May 14, 1880 and died July 3, 1948 married Benjamin Rufus Codd, born April 3, 1871and died February 4, 1944. They were married May 20, 1895 at Whitedale (now Gulliver), Schoolcraft County, Michigan when she was 15 yrs old. They had 10 children -
Benjamin Wellington Codd b & d June 23, 1909,
Lloyd Gordon Codd b. June 2, 1899 d. August 14, 1900,
Hanford Walter Codd June 6, 1901-December 29,1981, Hanford had ruptured appendix and almost died. Hanford’s wife was Ann and their son is Tom Codd. Edna Kahl
thought a lot of Hanford. Pearl said Hanford had a son Hanford Jr and he lived by Ewen, MI, Phillip in GA, and Pat who died. Howard D. Caron, 319 2nd Ave. Apt 3, Eau Claire, WI 54703. Howard D. Caron, P.O.Box 572, Watersmeet, MI 49969. Tom Codd Bruce’s Crossing 906-827-3548. Hanford’s daughter-Bernadette and Mike Polvi, 105 Fairfield Dr. Lot 17 B, Ellewood, GA30049.Hanford Codd’s children--Bernadette, Tom, Anastasia, Hanford Jr., a son Pat died in GA, 2 other sons, and a girl died as a youngster.
Genevieve Helen Codd Wright July 23, 1907-Oct 16,1992,
Gladys Esther Codd April 19, 1903-Nov 28,1953,
Walter Thomas Codd Dec 30, 1922-Dec 14, 1984,
Grace Mildred Codd Jan 3, 1921,
Ethel Mary “ Mae” Codd May 17, 1905-July 29, 1946,
Katherine Mildred Codd Oct 29, 1913-1940’s,
Beatrice Alice Codd April 30, 1916-Dec 1993, and
Winona Ruth (Mickie) Codd Nov 15, 1918.
4) Gladys Galarno was born October 1899 at Schoolcraft, MI and married Martin Peterson -
Evelyn (Leonard Bruflat),
Marvil, --Gladys and a daughter were killed in a car crash and the other daughter died later. Mrs. Gladys Peterson, 61, Moran, MI and her daughter, Mrs. Shirley (Bill ) Carrow, St. Agnes, MI were killed in a head on collision near Sault Ste. Marie, MI Dec.16 about 1960.
Injured was another daughter of Mrs. Peterson’s, Mrs. Marvil (Leonard) Becker, Moran, MI.
Leonard Becker (March 9, 1924-March 1982), Dorothy Becker Peterson (March 25, 1919-June 1987), and Harold Peterson (Dec 23, 1918-June 21, 1990) are all buried at Immaculate Conception Cemetery, Moran, Mackinac County, MI. William C. Carrow (June 29, 1932-Jan 22, 1970 is buried at Brevort Cemetery, Allenville, Mackinac Co., MI. I can not locate where Shirley or Marvil are buried or which one was married to Carrow or Becker.
Evelyn Peterson Bruflat (Sept 15, 1922-April l, 2003) and Leonard Bruflat (June 30, 1925-March 3, 2004) are listed as being buried at Rienzi Cemetery, Fond du Lac, WI. Leonard and Evelyn had 3 boys and 1 daughter. Marsha born in 1947, Leonard Jr., Martin and Robert.
5) Dave Galarno was born May 21, 1895 -died Jan 1979, married Helen Peterson (sister to Martin)
- Bill (Charlette), Bill’s children --Vicky(3 children), Billie (4 children), Cindy, Debbie, Denise(4 children), Randy,
- Pearl (Joe Cornetto Nov 19, 1916 - Jan 11,1999) -2 children died Jack and LeRoy (both died at 2 yrs old, one of pneumonia and the other got sick in the morning and died by evening. The doctors in the hospital in Superior never figured out what he died from). Joe and Pearl’s children are Delores (age 62 is a retired post master—her children are Connie age 41 with 2 boys Alex 11and Maxwell is 8 and son Kevin is 34 and he just got married), Roger (age 50 is not married he is head of internal medicine in St. Paul and teaches for the University of MN medical school) and Joyce (age 47, is head of the Hurley bank-she has 3 children Sabrina 18, Audrey 13 and Tara 11). Joe worked in the iron mines and was a hunter.
- Richie and Bill Jr.
6) George Henry or George William Galarno born April 17, 1884 at West Bay City, Michigan – died 6/28/1899 killed duck hunting. They were in a boat and a gun went off, shot George in the leg and he bled to death. George is buried at the Lake View Cemetery, Manistique, MI in Schoolcraft County.
7) Frank Lloyd Galarno born March 20 1882 and died 8/26/1896 ruptured appendix and peritonitis. Frank is buried at Lake View Cemetery, Manistique, MI in Schoolcraft County.