Nurse Peattie's Garden


The garden is dedicated to the memory of Elizabeth Peattie who was the District nurse for Abernethy and surrounding area for almost 30 years from 1936 to 1963.  She was by all accounts a well-known and well-loved figure.  At first she travelled to her work by bicycle (later motorised) and then by car: a vehicle purchased for her by the community after determined fund-raising efforts.

The garden is located in a prominent site at the entrance to the village by the Ballo Burn where the Perth Road meets Main Street. It includes some lovely trees and shrubs and it is a pleasure to sit and relax on one of the benches with the sound of water in the background and glimpses through the trees of village houses and the hills. The site of the garden is part of the village’s former bowling green.  The old green was lost when the main road was re-aligned in the 1960s. The gate into the garden is the original bowling green gate. 

In recent times the Abernethy Horticultural Society has taken over from Perth and Kinross Council the care and maintenance of Nurse Peattie’s Garden. The formation of Abernethy in Bloom in 2015 has spurred on a new wave of restoration and rennovation, the story of which is told in the Abernethy In Bloom Blog.

If you would like to get involved with the refurbishment or with regular tidy-ups, please get in touch  caroline.boyle@hotmail.com