To participate in athletics and extracurricular activities students must meet the following requirements:
- Have passed a minimum of six courses the semester previous to the start of their sport
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six courses for credit
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 1.5, which is recalculated every six weeks (each term)
Note: All students promoted to 9th grade are eligible for athletics at the beginning of their freshman year.
Students who have been ineligible in the past become eligible on the 5th day of the new semester, after having met the eligibility requirements the previous semester.
Students not eligible to participate in competitions may practice with their team while they work on improving their academic status. It is recommended that these students attend after-school study halls which are available 4 days a week.
Online courses WILL count toward eligibility if they meet the following requirements:
- The courses are from the approved curriculum
- The student is enrolled in the course at the beginning of the semester
- Progress in the course is monitored throughout the semester
- The course is completed by the end of the semester
For more information on athletic eligibility contact Dan Oliver, Athletic Director at 633-0016 or email@example.com.
Before dropping courses consult with your counselor to determine how it will affect your eligibility.
College Athletic Eligibility
College athletics are governed by two organizations, the NCAA and the NAIA. Each group has specific requirements that students must meet to be eligible to participate in athletics in college.
If you are interested in playing sports in college talk to your counselor early and often to ensure that you take courses that meet eligibility requirements.
To be eligible for athletics through the NAIA students must graduate from high school and meet two of the three criteria listed below:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate in the top half of their high school class
- Score a minimum of 18 on the ACT or 940 on the SAT
Students interested in playing sports in college should register with the NAIA during their junior year. The eligibility center can be found at www.playnaia.org.
The following core courses at AHS DO NOT count towards NCAA eligibility:
- Contemporary Writers
- Literature Through Film
- Mass Media
- Intermediate Algebra
NCAA Division III schools do not give out athletic scholarships. These schools set their own eligibility standards for athletes.
Students interested in playing sports in college should register with the NCAA during their junior year. The eligibility center can be found at www.eligibiltycenter.org.