College Athletics


This organization was created by the NCAA to certify whether prospective student-athletes have accomplished similar basic initial academic eligibility requirements in different high schools across the nation.

According to the NCAA Eligibility Center, one of the differences among the three divisions of athletics is that Division I and II colleges and universities may offer athletic scholarships, while Division III institutions do not.  If you are considering playing Division I or II intercollegiate athletics in college, you must meet certain academic standards and be certified as an amateur athlete.  The NCAA Eligibility Center will evaluate your academic and athletic experiences based on the information you provide through your account, and determine your eligibility for Division I and II intercollegiate athletics. 

To qualify to play at either level, students must first meet specific criteria determined by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Criteria includes:
  • successfully completing approved core courses 
  • earning a minimum required grade-point average in those core courses, 
  • earning a combined SAT or ACT sum score that matches core-course grade-point average on the NCAA Eligibility Center’s sliding scale.
For instance, there are 16 core courses that must be completed to be eligible to play the DI level.  10 of these 16 core courses must be completed prior to the start of the seventh semester (senior year) of high school, and 7 of the 10 core courses must be English, math, or natural/physical science. 

It is the responsibility of the individual student-athlete to know Westhill High School’s core courses that have been approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center, track their NCAA eligibility requirements, and register with the NCAA Eligibility Center.  Students should let their counselor know of their intent to play a Division I or II sport, as they are aware of requirements and can answer questions you may have.


1. Download the NCAA’s Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete (link at the bottom of this page) for more       information.  It is important to know the academic requirements and eligibility rules for college athletics, and           make sure you meet the college’s academic and athletic standards.

2. Obtain a copy of your ‘unofficial transcript’ from the Counseling Center.  Use this to help you complete the NCAA     Eligibility Center’s Division I or Division II Worksheet (found in the Guide for the College-Bound Student-               Athlete) to monitor your progress in meeting NCAA initial-eligibility standards.

3. Print Westhill High School's list of approved courses by (clicking here), and entering our CEEB Code: 335528.           (i.e. Fundamentals of Algebra is not an approved math course).  

4. Register for an NCAA Eligibility Center account (the one that best applies to you):

    Certification Account: You need to be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center to compete
    at a Division I or II school.  You also need to be registered with a Certification Account
    before you can make official visits or sign a National Letter of Intent in Division I or II.  Keep
    in mind, when you create a Certification Account, an $80.00 registration fee is required
    within 30 days after you receive a verification code via email or your account is dropped
    from the system.  School Counselors may request that the fee be waived if you have
    previously qualified for and received a fee waiver for the SAT or ACT – please see them for
    more details.

    Profile Page: If you plan to compete at a Division III school or are currently unsure in
    which division you want to compete, create a free Profile Page.  If at any time you wish to
    pursue a Division I or II path, you can transition to a Certification Account.

    Please note: You can move from a Profile Page to a Certification Account, but not from a
    Certification Account to a Profile Page.

5. Send your official SAT or ACT scores directly from the test center to the NCAA Eligibility Center.  When         
    requesting scores from the College Board or ACT, use code 9999. 

6. After you finish your sixth semester of high school (the junior year for most students), complete Westhill’s                 Transcript Release Form to authorize us to release your high school transcript to the NCAA Eligibility Center.

    Once we have your written permission on file, we will also automatically send your final high school transcript to 
    the NCAA Eligibility Center upon graduation.  Final transcripts confirm your diploma type and contain final 
    course grades and credit earned. 

    Please note: If you have attended more than one high school, you will need to contact all former high schools and     request to have your official transcript from that school be sent to the NCAA Eligibility Center. 

7. Request final amateurism certification through your NCAA Eligibility Center Account (after April 1st of your last 
    year of high school).

Please Note: It is your responsibility to make sure the NCAA Eligibility Center has all the documents it needs to certify you. Be sure you complete all courses required to be an eligible athlete. 

When it comes to playing a sport in college:
Talk with your coach for more information; they should be your best resource.  Have an honest conversation with them regarding your abilities and the level of play you would like to aspire to.

Conduct Your Research:
  • Know how many players are graduating from the team and what positions they played. 
  • Understand the time commitments of a student athlete. 
  • Develop an athletic résumé (including your athletic stats). 
  • Decide whether to submit digital footage of your athletic highlights (performance and skills) directly to the coach. 
  • Write your schools of interest (do not wait for colleges to come to you and don’t write impersonal mass e-mails). 
  • Develop a list of questions to ask. 
  • Visit the campus and make sure to see the team play!
Kelly Fifield,
Aug 20, 2018, 7:40 AM