- So what is this all about?
- It is a monthly competition where tracks are made using only one synth for absolutely all sounds, including percussion, then voted on.
- How do I enter?
- Simply upload your track to SoundCloud before the deadline and share it with the current One-Synth-Challenge SoundCloud group drop box, then write a forum post in the submissions thread where you announce your entry, including a list of how many instances of the synth you used, what DAW you used and what other effects (if any) there were, and you are entered.
- What are the rules exactly?
- General rules are here, but might vary slightly with each competition so check the synth page and first post
of the submissions forum thread, but basically a track must be made using only the one synth and nothing else
for all sounds including percussion. All plugin effects like equalizers, delays etc, must either be inside the synth / DAW or external effects which must freeware and easily available to all.
- Is there a list of plugins I can use?
- You can use any plugin as long as it's not against the rules, but here is anyway a list of recommended plugins: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/recommended-plugins
- What format should the track be in?
- Any format accepted by SoundCloud is allowed.
- Where do I upload my track?
- There will be a link on the page for the synth in question here and also in the submissions forum thread.
We currently use SoundCloud for uploads.
- Upload to SoundCloud:
- Click the button called 'Send a new track' and it will ask you for the track file, or 'select an already uploaded
one' if you already are a SoundCloud member and have uploaded the track to
your account. One can upload
without a SoundCloud account, but they insist on an email confirmation when uploading, so why not enter a password as well and get an account so that it's easier in the future which also allows you to edit, delete etc tracks.
- If you upload from an account, make sure the track is marked public and downloadable. (this will
happen by default without account)
- Your track might be slow to appear on the player sometimes (~15 min), but have patience. If it is not up within
1 hour, upload again.
- Note that SoundCloud will transcode your track to 128kbps CBR (constant bitrate) MP3 for the website player
even if it's already in that format! For best sounding results, upload in an uncompressed format (wav or aif) and
keep a headroom of 3db (levels not maxed out).
- I have trouble uploading my track, what can I do?
- Try another browser or ask for help in the submissions forum thread.
- How do I tag my MP3 file?
- XP: Right-click file then: - > properties - > summary -> advanced
- Vista: Right-click file then: - > properties - > Details
- Win7: Make sure you are running as administrator then same as Vista above
- Use Windows Media Player: In the library, right-click on the MP3 file and select "Advanced Tag Editor".
- Use the free EasyTag or Mp3Tag program
- My computer/DAW crashes or becomes unreliable using the synth, what can I do?
- Some older synths don't work too well with the newer multi-core CPUs with many instances loaded, so one
trick is to make copies of the dll with different names for each. Check also if your DAW has an option to load
the synth in a different way.
If none of this helps, you must bounce (record as audiofile) some tracks and then close down those instances
of the synth to free up the processor.
- How can I download all the tracks in one go?
- After the submission deadline, all tracks are moved to Archive.org which automatically bundles them for
download as a zip file. The link to the zip file will be posted here.
- How do I vote?
- After submission deadline at the end of the month, there will be a link here at the site and at the competition forum thread to the page where you can vote and instructions how to do it.
- Do I have to join the voting?
- Only if you have entered a track in the competition.
- Can I vote even if I am not entered?
- Yes, voting is open to all, but you need to have 40 posts at KVR forum before the start of the competition period.
- What is the 'sign in' link here on the page?
- We are using Google Sites to host the web page, so that's just a general login for all Google Sites.
- The MP3 player in the result sections won't work?
- Reload the page and try again. If still not working, you might have set the browser or firewall
to block flash players.
- It is difficult making tracks and especially drum sounds with the synth, what can I do?
- Here is a page with collected videos, tutorials and links that you might find useful.
- I have some suggestions or ideas for the competition, where can I put them?
Use the general discussion forum thread not related to the individual competitions.