Business Case is the first step in the project initiation.
Business Case Template
A general template for a business case would be
- Why is the project needed (issues & opportunities)?
- How will the effort solve the issues or opportunities facing the organization?
- What is the recommended solution(s)?
- How does the solution address the issues or opportunities (benefits)?
- What will happen to the business if the BPR effort is not undertaken (the do nothing scenario)?
- When will the solutions be deployed
- How much money, people, and time will be needed to deliver the solution and realize the benefits?
- Background and Problem Statement
- Expected Outcomes and Benefits
- Description and Overview of Each Option
- Expected Benefits of Each Option
- Initial Risks and Issues
- Initial Estimates of Costs and Time
- Recommendation & Justification
- Business Case Tutorial at Prosci (link)
- Business Case Template from Australian Department of Health (link). Another version, PDF link.
- How to write a business case template (link)