Overview - The Chromebook is a fast web-based computer. It comes with apps built-in for the things you do everyday, and is designed for the cloud so your files and work are seamlessly saved and backed up online. With free, automatic updates, your Chromebook keeps getting better and better.
Chromebook expectations/guidelines for use
- Careful...carrying the Chromebook or any laptop by the corner, can bend the internal mother board.
- The power adapter's stem can break off if you are not careful while it is being charged. It weighs 2.4 pounds and has over 6.5 hours of battery life.
Getting Started with your Chromebook
- publish Jan '13 so there may be some small changes to the Chromebook Operating System since then. Once such item is the keyboard shortcut <alt><f6> brightens the keyboard brightness. However, our Chromebooks don't have a light under the keys.
Take A Tour of Google Chromebook
- Right clicking - use 2 fingers and click, make sure you and your students go through the tutorials that are opened the first time you or your students log into a chromebook. There are interactive keyboard practices available. The mouse pad and keyboard act different, so it will take time to get used to them.
- <alt><backspace> key combination is the delete key.
- You can switch the "Search" key to a "Caps Lock" key in the settings.
- <ctrl><alt><?> - see all shortcuts, can be overwhelming, but there are some great ones to know.
- Taking A Screenshot: <ctrl><shift>
- This will allow you to drag and create a box around what you are taking a screenshot of.
- The picture (named "Screenshot 2013-08-14 at 12.53.23 PM") will be saved on your Chromebook's File manager.
- Using a web based image editing tool, like Pixlr you can crop the screenshot or add some annotations, etc.
- File manager (the hard drive for the Chromebook) <ctrl><O>
- "Files" are found in the "Apps" button on the task bar
- You can "pin" any app to the task bar for easy access. You can "pin" an app by right clicking on the app.
Chrome Web Store
offers thousands of free apps, themes, and extensions to help you make the most of your Chromebook. Watch movies, play games or get work done (if you really have to). Similar to Apple's App Store. These apps are web based and work on any PC, Mac or Chromebook.