In general, Instructor expectations include:
- Spending, on the average, between 10-14 hours a week on course instruction.
- Logging into course regularly (5 days per week) to perform tasks for effective online instruction.
- Responding to students within 48 hours.
- Grading assignments promptly.
- Attending annual face-to-face teacher meetings (usually held in the summer) and participating in monthly professional learning community sessions held online
- Meeting administrative deadlines on tasks such as:
- Student Performance Email Notifications
- Mid-quarter Progress Reports
- Quarter/Semester/Year Grades/Comments
- End-of-session Teacher Survey
- Senior (or Graduating Student) Pass/Fail Notices (if applicable)
- Online Course Review (if applicable)
- Applying best practices for effective online instruction
- Providing clear guidelines and policies regarding student-instructor communication
- Promoting student-student cooperation and collaboration
- Promoting active learning
- Providing clear expectations
- Providing prompt, specific and individualized feedback to promote understanding
- Providing deadlines
- Setting high expectations
- Providing multiple forms of learning (written, aural, visual, manipulative, etc.)
- Having access to high-speed Internet connection
- Being able to effectively use online tools such as email, forums, web editors, other emerging web tools, etc.
- Being open to learning and applying emerging online instructional tools