PharmedOut is a GUMC project that promotes evidence-based prescribing, educates health care professionals about pharmaceutical and medical device marketing practices, and provides access to unbiased information about therapeutics.
Our goals are to:
- Document and disseminate information about how pharmaceutical companies influence prescribing
- Foster access to unbiased information about drugs
- Encourage physicians to choose pharma-free CME
- Present lectures at Grand Rounds, meetings, medical student events, and conferences
2010 Rx For Conflict
We provide access to free, web-based, pharma-free CME — enough for any physician in the U.S. to fulfill annual CME requirements without taking industry-funded courses. Here are links to more than 200 more credits of web-based, free, pharma-free CME.
We provide news, information, and resources, including our own slideshows, videos, and other audio-visual material, reading recommendations, resources for unbiased drug information, factsheets, and tools for teaching — including the popular Drug Ad Bingo.
- Our Newsletter rounds up the latest PharmedOut updates, commentary, pharma marketing news, and more.
- Our slideshows are open access and available for anyone to see, download, or use (we only ask that you credit us.) See Permissions.
- Our Teaching tools (including Drug Ad Bingo) and Patient Factsheets (including Fast Facts on Generic Drugs and Prescription Drug Marketing: What Consumers Need to Know) are available.
- Our journal articles include:
- Haunting the Medical Literature: How ghostwriting sold HRT
- Why Lunch Matters
- Ethical Considerations of Publication Planning in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Prescription Tracking and Public Health
- Following the Script: How Drug Reps Make Friends and Influence Doctor
- Off-Label Promotion, On-Target Sales
- Our PharmedOut videos, provide illuminating glimpses behind the scenes through interviews with former and current industry insiders.
- Read PharmedOut’s quotes and coverage in the media.