The road bridge over the Bristol - Birmimgham railway at Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, was rebuilt in 1942 when the railway was widened from two to four tracks.
The Cheltenham Local History Society has researched and published information from Cheltenham Borough Council's committee minutes, which give much valuable insight into the new bridge's development. In August 1941 the GWR asked if there were 'any proposals for the future realignment and widening of Hatherley Bridge in order that they may be considered when preparing drawings for quadrupling the main line.' The Council replied that 'provision was made in the Town Planning Scheme for widening the bridge to 60 feet.' Subsequent minutes stated that the Council 'agreed to foundations for the future (road) bridge widening being laid down forthwith.'
In September 1941 The Ministry of War informed the Council that 'the Railway Company were to provide footbridges over Cloddymore and Hatherley crossings.' These were either side of Hatherley Bridge and at this date both were rail level foot crossings.
There was a requirement for hutments to house workers engaged in the widening of the railway. The Council approved these subject to satisfactory drainage arrangements and removal of the buildings on completion of the contract.
With the widening works, the Reddings to Hatherley road which previously ran parallel to the railway on the left side embankment had to be diverted and a new road built. This 'would leave the Hatherley Lane about 200 yards north west of Hatherley Bridge and join the Reddings Road at its junction with North Road. ' Some of the spoil from the widening works was piled up on the old road and became known locally as the 'Humpty Dumps' Nowadays the Old Reddings Road is the remaining part of the pre-1942 alignment.
Above pictures: The 1942 addition to the bridge is on the left, and has a slightly higher arch than the older part, while the splendid new signal gantry is a prominent feature. It replaced a smaller one situated closer to Hatherley Signal Box and the junction to Andoversford. But the road over the rebuilt bridge, right, only had enough width for one vehicle at a time plus a very narrow footpath, not particularly safe for kids going to the adjacent Hatherley Lane Junior School ! It also has a slight hump in the middle where the old and new parts of the bridge have been joined.
The 49a bus service from Cheltenham to Churchdown and Gloucester managed to squeeze over, run in the 1950s and early 1960s by a front entrance Bristol single decker.
With urban development on the adjacent Benhall Estate spreading out to reach Hatherley Lane in the 1960s a better, wider road together with a new bridge became necessary. The following photos by Robin Stanton show some of the works undertaken. The new bridge was in use by April 1964, possibly earlier.
The view from Hatherley bridge looking towards Churchdown wirh 'Patriot' 45506 'The Royal Pioneer Corps' of 82E Bristol Barrow Road hauling a northbound class 'D' freight in May 1961. The train will be slowing as it may have to stop at the next signal at Cloddy Bridge. The gantry has had the two signals that controlled movements onto Hatherley Loop removed, but still has a goodly number in use. Photo J Irwin
A view from Hatherley Junction Signal Box of the old bridge looking towards Gloucester. The left, down, side arch is the original, while the up, right, side arch was added in 1942. There is a works train on the down relief, in connection with the removal taking place of a crossover. Hatherley Loop, which connected with the Cheltenham - Andoversford line, came in at the bottom left of this picture and was closed in 1956 with all track finally removed in March 1960.
Preliminary works are underway with a road crane perched on the bridge.
Work has advanced with a new reinforced concrete section at road level.
View from Hatherley Lane.
The up relief signal is prominent here, Hatherley Lane is in the background.
Supports for the new bridge cross the tracks. Hatherley Lane School in the background on the right.
The new bridge taking shape when there were still four tracks underneath. But in September 1966 two were taken out of use and removed.
In 2018, the bridge, reference BAG2 87.56* on the Network Rail system, sees more road traffic than ever, while there are still many trains passing underneath, probably more passenger services now than when the previous bridge was in situ. It is owned and maintained by Gloucestershire County Council.
A photo of the bridge as it is now can be found here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5100991