David Hutton was a 1997 graduate of Cameron County High School. David’s hard work and fine character were keys to his success in Track and Field and throughout his continuing education. In September of 2005, while pursuing a Doctorate in Exercise Physiology, David passed away as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident.
The Award and its Purpose
The award has been created from monies given in honor of David Hutton. The fund was created to assist student-athletes in their efforts to continue their educational aspirations, and is sustained by an annual 5K run & 2-mile walk in Emporium, PA.
Currently, we offer up to three $1,000 (One Thousand Dollar) scholarships each year; one to a Cameron County senior, and an additional one or more that will be open to all eligible applicants within Elk, McKean, Potter, and Cameron Counties. Scholarship recipients are selected by the David Hutton Memorial Committee. The grant will be paid after the first semester to the recipient’s college/university if the student’s first semester grades are 3.0 or higher and they have enrolled in the second semester.
To be eligible, the applicant:
1. Must be a senior in a high school in Elk, McKean, Potter, or Cameron County in Pennsylvania.
2. Must have been a resident of your present school district at least three years.
3. Must have been a member of the Track and Field Team for at least three years, including applicant’s senior year.
4. Must have gained acceptance to a four-year college or university.
1. Must submit a typed essay on their main goal in life and how they expect to achieve this goal.
- The essay format must be Times New Roman font, size 12.
- The essay should be 1.5-line spaced and no more than two pages.
- Each essay page must include a header with the applicant’s last name and the page number.
- Applicants who submit hand-written essays or are non-compliant with essay requirements will not be considered.
2. Must complete Application and Family information sheet.
3. Must submit two letters of recommendation from references of non-relation.
a. References must reflect upon your character, work ethic and leadership qualities.
b. Reference request letter is provided in packet.
c. Name, phone number, and email (if available) of references are required on the application page.
4. Must submit a transcript of their grades.
5. Must submit all application materials to David Hutton Memorial Committee by May 1st.
The selection committee is composed of The David Hutton Memorial Committee.
Questions about the scholarship can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Criteria for Selection
After reviewing the grade transcripts, essays, and contacting references of the eligible students, the committee will select up to three students who exhibit the highest work ethic while demonstrating a high level of leadership and character. In the event that eligible students do not apply or cannot be selected, fewer or no scholarship(s) may be awarded for that academic year.
The student(s) awarded grants must supply a copy of their first-semester grades and proof of second-semester enrollment to:
David Hutton Memorial Fund
11170 Rt. 120
Emporium, PA 15834
Once requirements are met and verified, monies will be awarded to the recipient via check in the sum of One Thousand Dollars ($1000.00) to the student's University/College.