ECE Travel & Reimbursement
Use Chrome River to turn in all expense reimbursements
ALL REIMBURSEMENTS ARE DUE 60 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE (TCard) or FROM DATE OF TRAVEL (personal card)
No paper UM1612 forms as of April 8, 2019 Chrome River for Travel and Non-Travel reimbursements
Chrome River FAQ
Why are we doing this? What's Chrome River?
Okay, I read the things (or skimmed it). Now what? Job Aids!
I'm getting warnings! Why?
Compliance and regulations, mostly.
Most common issues that occur in Chrome River
- Allocation = Account string (Try: Project Number for Sponsored funding; FinEmplID or Program Number for Non-Sponsored funding)
- Lodging Expense Itemization
1 receipt = 1 imageMinimum file size should be greater 50KB;Maximum file size should be less than 10MB
OR use the Chrome River app (CR Snap)
Including personal days in your travel? Do a flight comparison while booking your flight!
Use the TCard for airfare, conference registration, and ground transportation
Use the TCard for hospitality meals*
$2,500 single transaction limit/ $10,000 monthly transaction limit
DO NOT use the TCard for meals while in travel status
DO NOT use the TCard to pay for alcohol EVER
DO NOT use the TCARD to pay for other travelers EVER
How to Reconcile a TCard (policy and job aid)or, I've used my TCard, now what?
- It may take 3-5 days for expenses to load in the system
- Transactions $25.00+ require itemized receipts
- Email travel documents and receipts directly from your umn.edu email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use CR Snap App on your smartphone.
- Receipts do not require signatures
*Alcohol cannot be paid for with the travel card. Alcohol should only be paid for with a personal card. Receipts should be submitted in Chrome River as an out-of-pocket expense.
Alcohol sales tax note: When calculating alcohol sales tax, do not use the subtotal if it includes a benefits surcharge.
Tips may not exceed 20%. Anything tipped in excess may not be reimbursed.
Traveling & Hospitality on University Business
UMN Travel Policies and Helpful Links
UMN Travel Services via MyU UTravel:
- MyU > KeyLinks > UTravel
- Christopherson Travel Agency
- Delta for Business Travel
- National/Enterprise Car Rental
University Policies & Procedures
- UMN Hospitality & Entertainment of Non-Employees Policy & Procedure
- UMN Traveling on University Business Policy & Procedure
- UMN Business Expenses Policy & Procedure
- UMN Delegation of Authority
ECE Business & Hospitality Expenses
Approvals and Modifications in Chrome River
What comes after a report submission
For anyone who needs to review, approve, or modify expense reports in Chrome River
Reports may be approved via email or from within Chrome River.
Reports will route: Supervisor --> DeptID Approver(s)* --> (DeptID CA)
Reports with policy violations and/or $10,000+ will route:
Supervisor --> DeptID Approver(s)* --> DeptID CA --> Chief Financial Manager --> (Accounting Services)
*Reports will only route to an approver once, even if they fulfill multiple roles.
Reports within 90 days can:
- be accessed if it is in Draft, Returned, or Submitted status
- be modified or deleted if in Draft or Returned status
- modified if Submitted, but Pending Approval
- Submitted and Approved Reports cannot be modified
Statement In Lieu of Receipt Form
Request for Lodging Exception (Domestic)
Non-Employee Reimbursement Form
ECE Pre-Award Funding Procedure
Chrome River Job Aids
A complete list of all Chrome River Job Aids
- Chrome River at University of Minnesota Resources
- Getting Started with Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 4-18-19)
- Allocations/ChartField Strings in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 7-20-18)
- Approving Chrome River Reports Job Aid (pdf 4-18-19)
- Creating a Pre-Approval Report in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 4-18-19)
- Creating an Expense Report in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 4-18-19)
- Expense Types in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 5-10-19)
- Justifications/Business Purpose in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 3-2-18)
- Lodging Expense Itemization Job Aid (pdf 1-17-19)
- Meal Expense Types Job Aid (pdf 2-11-19)
- Mileage Expense Job Aid (pdf 1-16-19)
- Modifying a Report in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 3-27-18)
- Paying for Travel Expenses Job Aid (pdf 2-12-19)
- Receipts in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 4-18-19)
- Reconciling Travel Card Activity Job Aid (pdf 3-23-18)
- Unallowable Expenses in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 3-23-18)
- Uploading Receipts in Chrome River in a SNAP Job Aid (pdf 4-9-19)
- Warning Messages and Resolutions in Chrome River Job Aid (pdf 8-16-18)