4 bacon slices, cooked
4 cups beef or ham stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 cauliflower head, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
1. Place a large Dutch
oven or stockpot over medium high heat. Add the drippings from cooking
the bacon. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the onion,
garlic, celery, and, if using, the carrots.
Saute, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.
2. Add the cauliflower and bay leaf. Saute, stirring often, for about 4 minutes.
4.. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is fork tender. If you feel the mixture is too thick, add a little more cream. Chop up the bacon and sprinkle over the top of the chowder.
For the Instant Pot pressure cooker:
2. Add the cauliflower and bay leaf. Saute, stirring often, for about 2 - 4 minutes.
3. Add the almond flour, stirring until you cannot see it any more. A little at a time, stir in stock and cream. Stir constantly until thickened a little.
4. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it. On the "Manual" setting
and cook on "high pressure" for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
5. Chop up the bacon and sprinkle it over the chowder.
Makes about 6 servings. Estimated Nutrition, per serving, according to SuperTracker; recipe with carrots: calories 396; Carbs 11 g total (7 g. net); Protein: 12 g.; Fat: 36 g.; Fiber: 4 g. Recipe without carrots: calories 388; Carbs 9 g total (6 g. net); Protein: 12 g.; Fat: 36 g.; Fiber: 3 g.