History

Payne Park Tennis Center was established in 1993.The current location is actually a relocated tennis complex that was opened in 1938 by the City of Sarasota that was stationed at Tenth Street and U.S. Highway 41. Terms of the sale from Martha and John Payne to the City of Sarasota, required that it be developed as a recreational facility for the people of the area.

The courts were originally of red clay composition, and then changed to har-tru composition in 1964.

The current Payne Park Tennis Centre was opened in 1993 and started with nine courts. Three more courts were added due to demand in 2010.

In the 1960's the current location was a baseball stadium at which the Chicago White Sox did their spring training.