D1 High School Honors Festival
Vocal Auditions 2018-2019
Mixed Choir: All Tenors and Basses, Top Scoring Sopranos and Altos Grades 9-12
Treble Choir: Sopranos and Altos Grades 9-12
The solo song for 2018-2019 is:
Solo: “Gia il sole dal Gange” from 24 Italian Songs and Arias, Shirmer
Sing measures 1-48 for Medium High Voice (S/T) or Medium Low Voice (A/B), no ornaments, in Italian.
Click here to get all your District and All State vocal auditions info and practice files!!!
There are 3 components to the vocal audition:
1) Vocal (S/A/T/B) Solo: “Gia il sole dal Gange”.
2) Sight Singing
- The examples will use Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol and La.
- The examples will be four measures long and will be mostly stepwise. The example may include the skip of a 3rd ascending on the tonic triad as well as Sol descending to Do.
- The example may include quarter rests only.
- Any combination of whole, half, quarter, and eighth notes. Eighth notes may exist in pairs or groups of four.
- Sight-singing will be in the same key as their scales. (Bb for low and F for high).
- Students will hear I-IV-V-I followed by the tonic/octave starting note to prepare the ear.
- Students will be given a minute to look over the example prior to singing.
3) Pitch Matching
- A series of three 3-note patterns in 2 registers in a comfortable range.
(NO Major Scale requirement for this audition.)
*On a different note, we also agreed to record the learning tracks at 60% tempo so that the students can tackle the more difficult songs without tempo inhibiting their progress.
*The mixed choir will be more competitive next year as we are making it a little smaller. Choir will be closer to 100.