Math For Liberal Arts Students

Math 1006

Mathematics for Liberal Arts Majors

Dr. Schwartz

Text: For All Practical Purposes, Introduction to Contemporary Mathematics  9th Edition


COMAP 
W.H. Freeman and Co.

The textbook, For All Practical Purposes, is available in a variety of versions. It may be purchased from online booksellers. It can also be used electronically.

 

Topics: We will examining many different types of problems and explore methods (usually "mathematical" methods) of solving these problems.

 

Grade: There will be two take-home problem sets, each counting 22% of the final grade. There will be a mid-term counting 21% of the final grade.  There will be some quizzes counting a total of 7% and a final exam counting 28% of the final grade.

Note: Every cell phone use during class is prohibited.  Any instance of cell phone use will result in a 1 point deduction from the final overall average.

Missing an exam: There are events in life that are more important than an exam - but not many! A serious reason (health, family death etc.) that you have documentation for will be accommodated by a make up exam for full credit. Any other reason will lead to a penalty of 25% on the make up exam.

 

Office hours: Monday & Thursday 2:00 - 3:00 and by appointment every day.

Room 8 - Brownson Wing  

I can, of course, always be reached by email at edward.schwartz@mville.edu

My office is in Brownson Wing 8. 

My voicemail (which I do NOT check with any regularity) is at 323-1555.

Return to Dr. Schwartz' homepage. 

A perspective on college worth looking at.

This course fulfills Liberal Arts requirement and the following General Education Requirement:

Pillar

Capability

Credits

Learning Outcomes




Investigator




Mathematical

Reasoning




3

Demonstrate skill in carrying out mathematical (e.g. algebraic,geometric, logical, statistical) procedures flexibly, accurately, and efficiently to solve problems

Analyze mathematical arguments Interpret information/data that has been presented in mathematical form

Represent information/data in mathematical form as appropriate

Moodle:

You are required to check the class Moodle page regularly for announcements, readings and assignments. This is also where the lecture notes will be posted.

https://moodle2.mville.edu/login/index.php

Your user name and initial password will be the part of your mville email address before the @ symbol.


Course Description from the Catalog: Math for Liberal Arts

This course is intended as an invitation to anyone who, while not interested in developing a technical facility in calculation, is interested in gaining an appreciation of the methods and scope of mathematics. The emphasis will be on topics not usually covered in a general algebra - trigonometry sequence. The approach will be conceptual, rather than computational. This course covers various topics outside the usual algebra-calculus sequence. This course is intended to help students gain an appreciation for the methods and scope of mathematics in everyday life. Possible topics include graph theory (Euler paths, Hamiltonian circuits, minimal-cost spanning trees, the travelling salesperson problem), discrete probability and counting, and coding (check digits, Postnet, Soundex, error correcting codes, binary numbers, basic cryptography, etc.).

Use of Technology: We will use simple scientific calculator. Graphing calculators are not allowed.

Disabilities statement: “Students must be registered with the Office of Disability Services in order to receive academic accommodations. If you require accommodations and have not registered with the Office please contact the Director of the Disability Office.”

Academic Integrity

Any student found to have committed an offense against academic integrity in any education course will be dismissed from the education program. For further information, please refer to the section on Academic Conduct in the booklet “Student Handbook and Code of Community Conduct.”

The following table lists the grades that are used at Manhattanville College:

Letter Grade

Percentage Equivalent (%)

GPA scale (starting Fall 17)

A

93 – 100

4.00

A-

90 – 92.9

3.66

B+

87 – 89.9

3.33

B

83 – 86.9

3.00

B-

80 – 82.9

2.66

C+

77 – 79.9

2.33

C

73 – 76.9

2.00

C+

70 – 72.9

1.66

D

60 – 69.9

1.00

F

0 – 59.9

0.00


Comments