The Cornish Buildings Group bursary will be given to support research in a topic relative to the aims of the Cornish Buildings Group. Our aims since 1969 have been to 'stimulate interest, appreciation and knowledge of good building in Cornwall, and to encourage the erection, protection, repair and recording of such buildings'.
The award provides a one-off payment of £500. The bursary is open to anyone and will provide funds to defer research expenses such as travel and hotel costs. It will not be awarded for maintenance at home, purchase of books or equipment, secretarial help or tuition fees. The bursary would be ideal for students of architecture and/or architectural history. Preference will be given for students studying a Cornish-related subject. Applicants will be intending to publish the fruits of their research or to make them publicly available at a bona fide academic conference.
To apply please forward details of your project to us. The details must include
• title and description of project
• estimate of costs
• date of start of project and estimated completion date
• one letter of recommendation to be sent directly by referees to the Secretary
Applicants are responsible for asking their referees to write.
Two copies of the application should be submitted to our Secretary, with a sae if acknowledgement is required. Alternatively they can be emailed to us email@example.com
The deadline for application is 30 September 2018.
The award decisions will be made at our October Council meeting.
Payments to successful applicants will be made only after documentary evidence of each major item in the proposed expenditure has been supplied. This may be a receipt or invoice, or confirmation of travel booking or conference enrolment.
The Cornish Buildings Group must be acknowledged in any published work arising out of the application. Copies of books, or in the case of shorter publications, an offprint or photocopy, should be sent to the Secretary of the Society. A brief report of the use made of the grant must be submitted to the Secretary within a year of its receipt and, if the work extends beyond twelve months, a second report should be submitted on its completion.
Terms and Conditions
• The bursary is open to anyone resident in the British Isles.
• The bursary is for a one-off payment of £500
• Brief accounts of the progress of the research may be requested and published in the Group's Newsletter.
• The bursary is subject to the Cornish Buildings Group's finances at any one time.
• The financial support of the Cornish Buildings Group should be acknowledged in any subsequent publication.
• The successful applicant must not be in receipt of any other financial award.
• Applicants should be informed of the decision following the Group Council meeting in October 2015.
• The Society’s decision is final.
Please email applications to