1953 – RCNSA (Royal Canadian Sailing Association) created by Order in Council P.C.63/1525, “for the purposes designed to further the Defence of Canada. Approved by the Governor General of Canada on March 17th, 1952. http://cfsa.wordpress.com/history/
RCNSA Kingston was originally across from RMC beside the Martello Tower in Navy Bay (Below the stockade). Remnants of the old dock are still present today.
1969 - With integration of the three branches of the military RCNSA lost both “Royal” and “Naval” designations and became the Kingston Squadron of the CFSA (Canadian Forces Sailing Association). There were many CFSA squadrons throughout the Canadian military system, some of the main ones being Shearwater, Trenton, Kingston, and Esquimalt, and even in foreign bases such as the Rhine Sqn in Germany.
RMC and HMCS Cataraqui were first-rate partners with CFSA, sharing their facilities and promoting sailing activities until the creation of the Club in 1987.
1976 – Move from Navy Bay to Deadman Bay. Members moved the radar shack, which was the original clubhouse, from RMC to Deadman Bay. Peter Walker, a CELE major, was the first Cmdre on the new site. Colonel Archie Brown was the BComd at the time and he was extremely enthusiastic about sailing and supported the Club by providing resources for the original T-docks and berme.
HMCS Ontario bought the yellow Albacores which the Club kept until the mid 2000s, provided the unit could run their first sailing course at the CFSA Kingston in Deadman Bay. The course was quickly moved back to RMC, the facility at the time not being adequate for that purpose. In the early 70s, HMCS Cataraqui also provided access to their facilities for winter storage, until the present building was built at that location.
Upon the closure of the Shell station located at the CANNEX, the Club obtained the shack, which was transported to the Club and been used as OOD shack until this date.
Repairs on dinghies done by RMC until CFSA disbanded. RMC repair allocation was two dinghies every year.
1986 – A study of Deadman Bay was carried out with a view to develop it as a recreational facility for the CFB Kingston community. The facility was designed to attract as many community members as possible and priorities were allocated to: breakwater, access road, a second story on R-28, beach activities, trailer park with services, tent campsite, and fitness trail. A gravel road was designed for use as an access road to the boat launch ramp at the CFSA facility.
19xx – CFSA had an extension built to R-28 to house the dinghies. R-28, officially opened in July 1965, served the Arrowhead Beach activities.
1987 – CFSA stopped oversight of the sailing activities. CFBKYC was created and came under direct command of CFB Kingston, as one of its many sports facilities for military personnel, and became the Sailing Club. The Club was integrated into Base NPF management. Club members went to work immediately, filling and grading of lower parking. A perimeter fence was also built with Base fund.
1994 – The CFSA organization was officially disbanded due to military budget cuts. Squadrons which were located on properties owned by DND but not on actual military bases were closed and the properties sold. Some members belonging to CFSA Ottawa became members of CFB Kingston YC.
2002 - Purchase of eight CL14 for the Learn to Sail Program, which is run by the Club.
2003 - Sea container obtained and installed on the berme for storage of dinghy equipment.
2003 - New docks purchased and a row of mooring balls was dropped.
2004 - Breakwater replaced.
2010-11 - Renewal of the Club House (new roof, kitchen, bathroom, paint job inside, and refurbishment of furniture). Also, purchase of a new dock for the power berm.
2012 - Purchase of three new docks for the power berm with a grant from the Board of Governors. Purchase of a pump-out unit, Honey Wagon.
2013 - Purchase of a new dock for the power berm.
2014 - New dock ID numbers initiated by |RC Properties Don Breen.
2015 – Purchase of one dock for the power berm (B dock) and one for the small boat area (E dock).
2016 - Purchase two docks for C and one for small boat E.
2018 - Dock B2/4 replaced. New Club boat with 20 hp engine. New TV. Eight new Topaz Vibes provided by NPF and 2 from Public $10,400 each. New docks electrical. Breakwater inspection $15k.
2019 - Resurface C Dock $5.7k