- Don't soak anything wooden, or let water sit on it, or put in dishwasher.
- Don't use your knives to do non kitchen stuff (open boxes) to keep them sharp. Boxcutters are cheap, invest in a box.
- Dishwasher, do not put the following in
- double walled cups (thermos etc) in dishwasher. This also
includes the cutesy cups that have water and glitter the seal apparently
busts in the wash cycle destroying the inner cute or ruining the air
seal (that keeps hot things hot and cold things cold).
- Dish soap, Dishwasher soap and dish soap are not interchangeable.
- nonstick/teflon pans in the dishwasher
- Anything wooden
- cast iron
- Oil your cutting boards to make them not warp / last longer
- Do no soak nor dishwasher cast iron pans. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
- Make sure the shower curtain liner is in the tub to avoid floods
- A well hidden plunger in every bathroom can avoid messy situations.
- Vinegar is great at cleaning most things.
- Baking soda is great at cleaning many things.
- You need to change HVAC filters
- You need to change water filter in fridge
- You need to clean or change vacuum filters
- Test your fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms twice a year, handy reminder is daylight savings time.
- Close and lock your windows when going to sleep, at least on the ground floor, so you don't worry about every noise. optional - add bells
Things you should own
- Screwdriver set