Foreign Exchange Students

Want to learn more about the Foreign Exchange Program?

Application Deadline: May 3, 2021

Foreign exchange organizations wishing to place students in Atlanta Public Schools must be approved by the Council on Standards for Education Travel (CSIET). Applications should be submitted by May 3. Additionally, organizations must receive approval from the Atlanta Public Schools’ Department of Student Assignment prior to submitting an application for acceptance of a foreign exchange student.

To be considered for approval the organization will provide the Department of Student Assignment with the following information:

The organization’s most recent brochure describing its programs

Evidence of health, accident and bonding insurance;

Name, address and telephone number of the organization’s local representative for the Atlanta area;

Two letters of reference authored by local host families who have had students placed in their home by the organization within the last year. Reference letters should specifically address the family’s working relationship with the organization and its local representatives;

The foreign exchange student must be between 15 and 19 years of age and reside with a host family or sponsoring family living within the boundaries of the Atlanta Public Schools.

Foreign exchange students will be enrolled as full time students and will be subject to the same policies, rules of conduct and attendance requirements as regular students. The Atlanta Public Schools may limit the number of foreign exchange students admitted. Additionally, the Atlanta Public Schools reserves the right to deny placement opportunities for all applicants relative to space availability in its high schools.

Participation in Senior Events

Exchange students who would be classified as seniors in their homeland are to be invited and allowed to participate in traditional “senior” class activities and classified as “seniors” during their participation in the exchange.

Exchange students are to be invited and allowed to participate in the graduation exercises with the graduating class in the year in which they participate in the exchange.

Exchange students are to be given a Certificate of Attendance in lieu of a diploma, and shall be so designated on the graduation program.


“Foreign student” or “J-1 visa holder” means a secondary school student who has traveled to the United States to study at an accredited public or private high school and live with an American host family or at an accredited boarding school.

B-2 Visitor Status: This visa is issued to an individual who has a home in a foreign country to which he or she will return after a short stay in the United States. The purpose of the stay in the United States is to tour, visit friends or family, or sightsee. B-2 visitors may not attend school full-time according to the guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Foreign Students Visa (J-1) for Public Schools

Should you have any questions, please email Student Assignment at or call Student Assignment at 404-802-2233.